Lucerne Valley Cut-Off, Stoddard Valley
Stoddard Valley Off-Highway Vehicle Area is a diverse landscape for the off-highway vehicle driver. The area is punctuated by steep red rocky mountains, rolling hills, open valleys, and wide winding sandy washes. Elevations range from Stoddard Peak at about 5,000 feet to Turtle Valley, with an elevation of about 2,800 feet. Vegetation consists of creosote scrub, some annual grasses and wild flowers and, the symbol of the Mojave Desert, the Joshua tree.
The riding area is in the wedge formed by Interstate 15 and California Highway 247 (Barstow Road) south of Barstow (CA). Most visitors access the area to the east off Interstate 15 at the Outlet Center Drive exit (Sidewinder Road) or at the Hodge Road exit. From California 247 (Barstow Road exit) about 10 miles south of Barstow, turn off on Stoddard Wells Road or 15 mile south of Barstow at the access route behind the Slash X Cafe. All of these entrances are dirt roads.
Things To Do
Most of the area visitors ride motorcycles or ATVs, or tour the area in four-wheel drive vehicles. The easily accessed areas off the Sidewinder Road exit are used extensively for OHV free play. The area is also used extensively for competitive racing events by permit. There are many occasions for hiking, rock scrambling, rock hounding, and plant, bird and wildlife watching. There are desert tortoise, a state and federally listed threatened species, within the riding area. NOTE: There are many deep mine shafts in the riding area! Please avoid these areas and camp away from mine shafts!
Rules & Regulations
- Camping is allowed anywhere with the riding area that does not block travel on a road; limited to a 14 day stay.
- Draining of holding tanks, littering and trash dumping is prohibited. Pack It In, Pack It Out!
- All vehicles must have a muffler or spark arrester and must be registered, either with a license tag or a California "green sticker" OHV registration (CA. Residents only),
- Vehicles being operated at night must have head and tail lights.
- Helmets are required on all ATVs! Also, there are no passengers allowed on ATVs.
- NO SHOOTING ALLOWED IN THE STODDARD VALLEY OHV AREA!
- Digging up or destroying trees and shrubs or harassing wildlife or livestock is prohibited.
- The desert tortoise is a federally protected species. Please do not handle or disturb these animals; Look but don't Touch!
- It is illegal to damage or destroy archeological sites or remove artifacts.
-- Source: BLM