Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park encompasses 3,730 acres of southwestern Utah where a stunning, coral-colored dunefield is surrounded by red sandstone cliffs, blue skies and juniper/pinyon forests. The park was established in 1963 with land acquired from the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) to serve as access to the dunes for recreation, and to protect the dune resources.
At an elevation of 6,000 feet, and 12 paved miles off U.S. Highway 89 near Kanab, Utah, this park provides a fantastic setting for camping, hiking, off-highway vehicle riding, taking photographs or just playing in the sand. A 265-acre conservation area prohibits motorized vehicles in order to protect the Coral Pink Beetle (found nowhere else in the world) and its habitat. The Mule Deer, Jackrabbit, Kit Fox, Coyote and many small rodents also make the park their home.
The park's sand dunes are created because a notch between the Moquith and Moccasin mountains funnels the prevailing winds, increasing their velocity to a point where they can carry sand grains in what is called the Venturi Effect. Eroding Navajo Sandstone formations surrounding the park account for the unique color of these dunes.
Seasons / Hours
Open year round, 24 hours a day.
Rates & Fees
Entrance: $5.00 per day, per vehicle.
Camping: $14 per night per site.
Annual Pass: $70 allows day-use entrance to most Utah state parks.
Rules, Regulations, Precautions
- Vehicles must remain on pavement within developed areas of the park.
- Speed limit in the park is 15 mph; 5 mph in the campground; 30 mph on country roads.
- Camping is allowed only in designated campsites.
- It is unlawful to remove, destroy or molest all plants, animals and minerals in the park.
- Fireworks are prohibited.
- Fires can be built in specified locations only.
- Pets must be on a 6-foot leash.
- Firearms are prohibited.
- Dumping waste water is prohibited.
Things To Do
Five picnic sites, and a large group-use area are adjacent to the coral dunes. Each site is located on a concrete pad and contains a barbecue grill and picnic table. The group site has a fire pit.
OHV / 4WD Touring
Coral Pink Sand Dunes includes 1,200 acres of play area for off-highway vehicles (OHV). Off-highway vehicles are permitted on the dunes, but strict regulations apply. Hundreds of miles of trails and several well-developed 4WD roads are also located on BLM land adjacent to the park.
Hiking the sand dunes is an interesting and colorful experience. A number of trails adjacent to the park provide excellent hiking:
Harris Mountains: North of the park offers stunning views of the dunes and Zion National Park.
Moquith Mountains: Leading from the east boundary of the park, views of Kanab Canyon and the Grand Canyon's North Rim can be seen from atop the dunes.
South Fork Indian Canyon Pictographs: The trailhead located four miles northeast of the park leads to the bottom of South Fork Indian Canyon where ancient pictographs can be seen. Open for hiking, OHV and 4WD vehicles.
Camping & Lodging
There is no lodging available in the park. Check in nearby Springdale, Utah for motels.
The park contains a 22-unit campground with modern restrooms, hot showers and an RV dump station. Each spacious campsite provides pull-through parking, a picnic table and a barbecue grill No hookups some water in the area.
- Camping Fee: $14 per site
- Stay Limit: 14 Days
- Total Units: 22
- RV Trailer Sites/Tent Sites: 22
- Maximum RV Length: 32 feet
- People per campsite: 8
- Quiet hours: 10:00 pm to 9:00 am
Individual campsite reservations may be made from three days to 16 weeks in advance from departure date. Reservations may be made by calling Utah State Parks and Recreation at 801-322-3770 or toll-free 800-322-3770, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. Visa, MasterCard and personal checks are accepted.
- A $6 non-refundable reservation fee is charged for each site reserved.
- A $10 non-refundable fee is charged for group sites and building rentals.
- A $5 fee is charged for an extra vehicle and is collected at the park.
- An additional reservation fee will be charged for any changes to existing reservations.