Surprise Wash

Moderator: Jim_b

tjoslin53
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Surprise Wash

Post by tjoslin53 »

Hello all! I am hoping that someone out their can tell me were Surprise Wash is located. I am let to believe that it is south of Totilla Flat yet no map shows its. There was a referrence to the site in one of the old Barry Storm tales stating he lived in a small cave high above Tortilla Flat in Surprise wash for several years. I was hoping to visit the cave but first need a little help with directions. GPS or Google earth map would be very helpful, Thanks

R.
somehiker

Re: Surprise Wash

Post by somehiker »

i-tsari-tsu-i

Post by i-tsari-tsu-i »

tjoslin53 wrote:Hello all! I am hoping that someone out their can tell me were Surprise Wash is located. I am let to believe that it is south of Totilla Flat yet no map shows its. There was a referrence to the site in one of the old Barry Storm tales stating he lived in a small cave high above Tortilla Flat in Surprise wash for several years. I was hoping to visit the cave but first need a little help with directions. GPS or Google earth map would be very helpful, Thanks

R.
R,

Don't believe I have ever heard of "Surprise Wash". Any idea which of Storm's books it was mentioned in?

Joe
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Joe - Tom Kollenborn mentioned "Surprise Wash" in a 1981 Chronicle on Tortilla Flat as being the spot where Barry Storm had his cave. He also has mentioned Surprise Canyon a couple times after that in reference to Bob Corbin and a group coming out of the mountains once into Tortilla Flat.
tjoslin53

Post by tjoslin53 »

I'm glad someone else had no idea about that name "Surprise Wash". I looked back and it was in one of the Kollenborn Articles talking about Storm. I think that Tom may have taken some writers liberty in the name along with numerous other things. Anyway I thank you for the location and hope to visit the site soon. I had posted a question ba ck sometime ago about a mine shaft at the very top of this same hill but no one seemed to know of it. Have you every heard of any near this are?

Riley