Len Killen, Dutch Hunter passes on.

Moderator: Jim_b

Matthew Roberts
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Len Killen, Dutch Hunter passes on.

Post by Matthew Roberts »

I learned today of the recent death of Len Killen, known to many in the Mesa and Apache Junction areas as an avid hiker and searcher for the Lost Dutchman Mine and other treasures and legends of the Superstition Mountains.

Len was 67 and worked for many years at Boeing in Mesa. I remember Len when he lived in Shoreham, Vermont and he and I would exchange correspondence and talk on the phone long into the night concerning the whereabouts of the Lost Mine of Jacob Waltz. I still have about six large 3-ring notebooks full of correspondence, maps and assorted documents Len sent me from Vermont. Len was also very interested and involved in the JJ Polka and John Kochera accounts. I spent one of my most enjoyable nights with Len and one of his sidekicks in a rain camp in a remote little corner of Peters Mesa. Exchanging theories and ideas while sharing some beer and sips of brandy left over from one of Crazy Jakes old caches. Dutch hunting was a lot easier back then, more fun, not so cut throat and dark as it has become.

When Len moved back to Arizona he visited at my ranch north of New River on several occasions. We had plans for a grand expedition to the mountains but work and health and constraints of time always seemed to postpone it. Len liked the bunkhouse at my ranch and we had plans drawn up to build one just like it at his place in Apache Junction. But again plans were postponed. Those were two projects I truly wish we had accomplished together.

Len Killen had a machine like ability to discover things in the mountains. Things that would escape a lesser eye. He could read the mountains, the trails and old pathways through a choked canyon or a rock strewn arroyo. I had to marvel at his uncanny ability. He had a great sense of humor which made him a good companion to be with in the mountains.

Time went on, Len drifted his way and I drifted mine. As so many times happen, we lost contact. I tried to get back in touch with him but health and other considerations got in the way it seemed. I regret deeply not seeing him again one more time before he passed on. He was a good man and the world will be a little duller place without him.

Matthew Roberts
Last edited by Matthew Roberts on Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
deducer
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Len Killen, Dutch Hunter passes on.

Post by deducer »

My condolences to Len Killen's family. He sounded like a good man.