5th annual Dutch Hunters Rendezvous 2009

Moderator: Jim_b

Zen
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

5th annual Dutch Hunters Rendezvous 2009

Post by Zen »

On October 23rd, 24th and 25th The 5th annual Dutch Hunters Rendezvous will be held at the Dons camp in the Superstition Mountains. The Dons camp is located off Peralta Road just before the Peralta trailhead parking lot, south of Apache Junction off of Route 60 to Florence Junction. The Peralta road is a well maintained forestry service road that provides access to all vehicles entering the wilderness area.

Camping is first come, first serve and we kindly ask those with horses to camp and stage them in the upper parking lot. There are toilet facilities at the camp, but no running water. We will be having our nightly campfire at the main ramada Friday and Saturday nights. Author Jack San Felice was our special guest and gave a wonderful presentation in 2007. The Historical law enforcement group "The Arizona Rangers" made a presentation on their history to kick the evening off. In 2008 Clay Worst and Bob Corbin covered the Ruth and Crazy Jake sagas on different nights.

Whether you are looking to pick the mind of Superstition Hiking guide author Jack Carlson or sample some of the Ribaudo stew (First come, first serve and the best free meal I have ever had in the mountains), there is something for everyone. Come for the evening campfire or stay the weekend, everyone is welcome and feel free to join in and ask questions.

Past rendezvous have featured hikes to the Soldiers grave in Barkley basin, The Dacite Mines, Chuck Crawfords Bark canyon claims and tours of the historical Quarter Circle U ranch.

I would like to thank the Dons club, Howard Hornick and the Backus family, Greg Davis, Randy Wright and Joe &Caroline Ribaudo for all their assistance.

Wayne Tuttle
Zen

Re: 5th annual Dutch Hunters Rendezvous 2009

Post by Zen »

We have our friday evening speakers lined up as well for everyone.

Dr Thomas Glover will be opening things up at our friday evening campfire and will be followed by Jesse Felman discussing his new book " Jacobs Trail"

Clay Worst and Jack Carlson will also be on hand

More news coming as we get closer. The gates to the camp will be open Friday morning the 23rd of October.
i-tsarl-tsu- i

Post by i-tsarl-tsu- i »

For those joining Carolyn and I for Stew and Garlic Toast Friday night, you need to let me know. Those who reply will be assured a meal. All others will be first come first served until we run out. Same story for biscuits and Italian sausage gravy on Saturday morning.

Our gas barbecue will be available for anyone who needs it.

You can reserve your meal by replying here. There is no cost.

Joe Ribaudo
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

i-tsarl-tsu- i wrote:For those joining Carolyn and I for Stew and Garlic Toast Friday night, you need to let me know. Those who reply will be assured a meal. All others will be first come first served until we run out. Same story for biscuits and Italian sausage gravy on Saturday morning.

Our gas barbecue will be available for anyone who needs it.

You can reserve your meal by replying here. There is no cost.

Joe Ribaudo
Definitely a go for Friday night - not sure about Saturday morning yet as I may get my butt out of bed super early and do some exploring that day.

Looking forward to my visit and seeing all you folks again!
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Zen,

I don't believe there is any way I am going to be able to attend your Rendezvous 2009, but I do have something I can donate to it, to encourage others to attend.

I will donate a set of the Stone Cross reproductions.
Made from the same molds as the set in the SMHS Museum and several private collections.

I will take them down to the Museum and leave them with Barbara Atkinson sometime next week, and either you or djui can pick them up in time for the Rendezvous. I will tell her that they will be picked up by either Randy Wright or Wayne Tuttle. If neither of you can make it over there in time and want to add a name just let me know their name. If Clay is confirmed as going to attend, I could even just drop them off at his house, and let him bring them.

I was thinking you could have everyone that shows up, put their names into a hat and draw one out on the last night around the campfire.

Jim Hatt

Zen

Post by Zen »

That sounds awesome! Having Clay bring them in would do just fine if you are by there in the meantime. Too bad you can't make it, but we will post afterwards and share with everyone afterwards.

A word to the wise: I passed on Joes stew for years and last year he made me a repeat customer!

Even my dog Jake gave it a big paws up!
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Alright, I'll box them up, and and drop them off at Clay's house then.
Jim
djui5

Post by djui5 »

Very cool of you Jim!! Thanks. Hopefully we'll see you next year.
Roger

Post by Roger »

Jim,

You made a VERY generous donation of the the Stone Maps to the Rendezvous for a drawing!!! We may get a larger crowd from that alone. Thanks for support!

Roger
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hi Roger,

Crosses Not Maps. I haven't had any Map sets, other than my own set that I bought from Robinson for 3 or 4 years now. The ones I made went pretty fast and I couldn't make any more after the Latex molds wore out.

Jim