THE STORY OF THE STONE CROSSES

Moderator: Jim_b

cubfan64
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: THE STORY OF THE STONE CROSSES

Post by cubfan64 »

The first mark looks like the bottom half of a watermark - I doubt that's what it is, but it has that look to it as though it's a symbol of some kind since it has more regular lines and a definite shape to it.

The second one looks more like an irregular hand drawing - whether a map or not, I can't really say. I don't really see a heart anywhere, but I see the X and when I turn the page so the X is at the bottom, the "thing" in the upper right looks more to me like a bell than anything else.

The "splotches" look alot like water damage, but if there is some kind of "invisible ink" used (even something as simple as lemon juice or something), I could interpret that as accidental drops of it on the paper.

My gut feeling is that the things we're seeing are "bleed through" from something else that was in contact with the paper at one time or another - I can't support that belief with any real facts, but it's my first guess.

Interesting stuff - have you tried the black light idea yet?

Looks like you have alot of work ahead of you Jim :)
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hi Paul,

I am just about ready to write it off as seeing Elephants in the clouds! :lol: I found a lot of other pages with more of the "water-drop" spots on them. Maybe some ancient Jesuit was reading it under a leaky roof during a rain storm???

I don't have a blacklight anymore. I used to have one for looking for scorpions, but went bad and I threw it out years ago.

Due to the age of the book, I don't like to handle it too much. I'm going to put it back for now, and get back to treasure Hunting in the field. The weather here is getting too nice to be sitting inside, looking for things that may or may not exist in that old book. I burn out on that kind of treasure hunting pretty fast. I'd rather be out looking for the "Cursum Perficio" stone itself.

Busca El Coazon!

Jim
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

I don't think you're seeing things, but I understand how you feel. It's one of those things you could spend years trying to decipher and figure out only to find you're missing too much to really make any sense, or worse yet, you never get anywhere and you've wasted all that time.

If I lived out there, I'd be spending most of my time in the mountains too.
javaone

Post by javaone »

Hey Jim,
Looking at the markings on the page it does look very similar to the markings on the stone maps. I would even go so far as to say the “X” and the line to the circle is similar to the part of the stone maps where the “trail” continues onto the heart stone. I wonder if this may have been a part of the “blueprints” for making the stone maps??
All of this is hypothetical, of course.
gollum

Post by gollum »

Jim,

Take a close look at all the pages of that book backlit. See if the watermarks are all the same, or if they are different.

Do that and let me know. I may have something for you.

Best-Mike
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Mike,

I went through about half of the pages, and never found anything I was sure was a watermark so I gave up.

Jim
gollum

Post by gollum »

The reason I ask is because of the two watermarks you showed, I have figured out some of their meanings:

The Jesuits not only published their own literature, they also made their own paper. Research shows watermarks were not only used to show who made the paper, but also give messages from the maker to whomever knew how to read them. Now these were not one time encoded messages. These were messages that would be repeated in every book sent to every Jesuit. If a non-Jesuit were to get a copy of the book, they would not be able to decipher (or even see for that matter) the secret message.

In many cases, symboligy of the time may have been used.

In the first picture, you have the bottom half of a rose watermark.

The Rose was a pretty standard symbol that most usually had something to do with a secret, or with keeping a secret.

The second picture is the bottom half of a shield watermark. My collection of watermarks is only about 1200. There are thousands in existence. You would likely need to spend a long time with both a large catalog of watermarks and several books on symbols to get the entire thing, but I have one symbol. The Trefoil (inside circle).

The Trefoil was always used to denote the Holy Trinity. That says that the entire shield watermark had something to do with the Church. I'll see if I can find anything else.

Best-Mike
gollum

Post by gollum »

...........almost forgot.

The third picture only shows where water was dripped onto the paper and left a mark.

The fourth picture is only ink bleeding through the page.

Best-Mike
gollum

Post by gollum »

The watermarks would have been placed on the paper while it was still in its' original size. That is why you get symbols cut in portions. When the full size papers were cut into whatever size was appropriate for the book they were going to publish, they cut that paper into the proper size.

Best-Mike
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Thanks Mike,

Interesting stuff! I never saw a single shape (or any part of one) repeated anywhere in all the pages I looked at. The hiking season is upon us now, but when we hit the triple digits temps here, I may start looking for something to occupy my time that could be done in the air conditioning.

Remind me sometime around July/Aug and I will dig the book out again and look through it some more.

Jim