THE STORY OF THE STONE CROSSES

Moderator: Jim_b

Wright 1
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: THE STORY OF THE STONE CROSSES

Post by Wright 1 »

Yehonadav, I am far from an expert , I am just as new too this as your are, if I told you my story you would believe it, sometimes I dont, but the History is there and thats one thing I have never been able to look past. I do alot of research , have opened doors, and asked Questions,the right questions and thats about it, I developed a passion for the Stone Maps and I would love too prove to all the doubters and nay-sayers that these Maps do lead too something of Importance, I mean rub it in their faces!!!! These Maps are like a 10,000 piece puzzle, I love puzzles...
Yehonadav

Post by Yehonadav »

Wright 1 and Jim,

I totally agree Wright 1, I love puzzles too! lol. Yeah I would pay a lot of money to see the look on the faces of the nay-sayers when the mines/deposits on the latin map are found -- and they will be, just a matter of time. Jim I would be very interested in reading the stories of those people who never made it back. Glad I could inspire ya! :)
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

This is last piece of documentation on file for Michael Bilbrey and his mining claims at the BLM.

Notice of Intent dated 12/31/1984 below

.[/b]
roward

Post by roward »

It's very interesting to see how information can get garbled in the retelling. For instance, I read recently on an internet site giving a brief history of the Lost Dutchman story, that Waltz killed his partner, killed 3 indians he found working the mine, and later was killed by indians himself. Sounds like it might make a good screenplay, but historically accurate it ain't!
Zen

Post by Zen »

Bilbrey is down in Casa Grande I believe. I could of swore he communicated with me before one of the Dutch Hunter rendezvous, either 2008 or 2007. As far as I know he is alive and well. I never asked about the whereabouts of the crosses figuring that story would come out around the campfire.

Jim,

I think Roger mentioned something once about the two of you took a trip out to Tortilla to follow in Bilbreys tracks? Hope you take the time to come out this fall, We had a great time with Clay and Bob Corbin last fall. As always we lay the welcome mat out for everyone.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello Zen,

Welcome to the Forum!

I don't think we've met. At least I don't recognize the user name. Do I know you by another name?

I think you may have the wrong Jim. I have never been to Tortilla with any Roger, that I can recall. I made a trip to the old Hackberry Mine with a Roger once, but he moved away to Texas shortly after that. I think he made a trip to the top of Tortilla Mtn. via Indian Spring Canyon with Greg Davis just before he moved away, but as far as I know they didn't make it anywhere near the Bilbrey claims on that trip. Could be I am thinking of the wrong Roger.

Jim
Zen

Post by Zen »

Jim,

Hope you can make it this year. We will be at the Dons camp on the 23rd,24th and 25th of October this year. everyones welcome, just bring your own water and food. Horses in the upper parking lot and first come, first serve in the lower camp. Friday night campfire is usually the big draw and for those who get in early friday, we run over to visit Howard at the Quarter Circle U. I don't know the status of the hike this year, but in the past Greg and Jack Carlson have taken a group out in the past on Saturday morning. The past trips were to Crawfords mine in Barks Canyon, The Dacite mines and the Soldiers grave in the basin.

I only know one Roger and I could of remembered the story wrong. One of the nicest guys you can hang with, always upbeat and friendly as can be.

There are 2 Michael Bilbreys in Casa Grande and I don't know off hand which is which. I had a phone number for the one I talked to, but can't locate it now. Either its buried in my files or I dropped it at Gregs to be filed away. The guy I spoke with was in his late fifties and I believed at the time it was him. Seems odd there would be 2 guys with that surname into the stone maps. I was pretty sure he was coming to the rendezvous, but called off at the last minute. Not being that interested in the Stone Maps, I was more interested in just getting the guy to come hang out with the rest of the Stone Map crowd. However, plenty of folks swing through and we don't put name badges on folks. I would think Greg would of recognized him if he did show up, but there was a pretty big crowd for the Friday night campfire in 2007 so he could of snuck through.

Should be a pretty good lead for anyone interested.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Zen,

Sounds like you guys have a good time out there at the rendezvous. If I were younger, and just starting out in the search for the "Dutchman", I would probably enjoy the campfire talks myself. There was nothing like that going on 20 years ago. I had to seek everyone out one at a time, and hope they would sit down and talk to me. Every one of them did, and friendships have developed over the years, that have withstood the test of time and trials. We disagree often, and sometimes intensely, but nobody ever wins. And... nobody ever will... as long as the Lost Dutchman remains LOST.

In the words of Brownie Holmes, as Clay Worst has told me many times. "Dutch Hunting is a Solitary thing". I enjoy that solitude, every bit as much as Brownie and Clay did when they were active in the mountains. Brownie had his manuscript, where he shared some of his most interesting stories about his Solitary search (In the moment). Clay had his articles in the SMHS newsletters and Journals to document his (In the moment) , Tom Kollenborn has his online Chronicles (In the moment)... etc. etc, etc... and I have my own little corner of the Internet, here where I share mine (In the moment). For the time being, that is enough for me, and I expect it will be for at least the next 20 years.

Don't be shy about keeping us up to date on the planned activities for the coming rendezvous. There may be some members here that would like to attend, and hear some of the old stories, told around a campfire, by the people that lived them.

Jim Hatt
Zen

Post by Zen »

Jim,

Thanks for encouraging the shameless plugs for the rendezvous. Encouraging everyone to get together for a couple of nights a year leaving the baggage at the door was all we hoped for. There is no itinerary and no rules other than to enjoy yourself. It is a great way to kick off the hiking season.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

I think you may have the wrong Jim. I have never been to Tortilla with any Roger, that I can recall. I made a trip to the old Hackberry Mine with a Roger once, but he moved away to Texas shortly after that. I think he made a trip to the top of Tortilla Mtn. via Indian Spring Canyon with Greg Davis just before he moved away, but as far as I know they didn't make it anywhere near the Bilbrey claims on that trip. Could be I am thinking of the wrong Roger.
Hello Mr. Hatt,

To make a long story short, I found myself intrigued by the LDM stories about 3 years ago and was lucky enough to make contact with a person on another forum. Thanks to that relationship, I've taken 3 hiking trips to the Superstitions and attended the Rendezvous over the past 2 years now.

Gotten to meet some truly nice people, hear some great stories and spent far too short of time exploring the mountains myself.

The Roger you and Zen are referring to are one in the same. I had the pleasure of hiking out to Peter's Mesa for a few days with Roger last October. It was hot and we went through our water too fast to spend more than a couple nights out there, but it was an excellent adventure for me and I'm looking forward to seeing him again this fall.

I currently live in New Hampshire, but have certainly fallen under the spell of not only the LDM legends, but also many of the other facets of the history and raw "power" of the area. If I can ever find a way to retire from the rat race early, I hope to convince my wife to relocate out that way even if for only half the year.

Just wanted to introduce myself, let you know that the Roger you mentioned is the same one Zen is referring to and add my hopes that you get an opportunity to visit the Rendezvous this fall. The highlight for me last year was listening to Clay Worst, shaking his hand and enjoying a "toast" of his rye whiskey before he retired for the night. If I'm not mistaken, a friend of yours was there for a day or two as well - I just can't place the name right now, but I'm positive he said he was a good friend of yours.

If those mountains could only talk, what a story they could tell eh?! It's fascinating trying to unravel the many stories piece by piece anyways though :)