Lost Dutchman Mine Located?

Moderator: Jim_b

Jim_b
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Lost Dutchman Mine Located?

Postby Jim_b » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:58 am

We have a new article by Robert Baxa who believes he has located the Lost Dutchman Mine by using the Peralta Stone Maps. It is a two part article and gives the GPS location an some details on how he got there.

http://www.desertusa.com/lost-dutchman/dutchman-found1.html

somehiker

Re: Lost Dutchman Mine Located?

Postby somehiker » Mon Sep 29, 2014 5:33 pm

Thanks Jim.
It's always interesting when a new theory is published, and to see the similarities and/or differences in the "solution" which each has.

Regards:Wayne

tjoslin53

Postby tjoslin53 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:35 pm

Wow, that is a lot of compassing! I am onboard with your reasoning and believe that you have one of the only locations that is believable. My own theories put the location a little more south and to the east, closer to Weaver's Needle. If in fact that location is something, then the series of logs that capped the opening should be just below the surface, right? It would be quite a find if that was discovered, gold or no gold! I am sure that the site will be visited by many throughout the winter and already by the diehards. Nice article:)

Tjoslin

Bob Baxa

Postby Bob Baxa » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:06 am

Yep, your right, it certainly is a lot of complicated compass and protractor work. There are literally hundreds of headings provided on the stone maps that correlate with many of the clues. If you head out to the canyon this season, don't forget to look across the canyon at the west slope. The face "looking up and to the east" is a magnificent site.
Also, your right, the logs that cover the bottom of the funnel shape should be a couple of feet below the surface. Unfortunately, digging on the site without a permit is not allowed. I hope no-one disturbs the site until competent, trained people can work on it.

tjoslin53

Postby tjoslin53 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:44 am

I hope so as well, but its more likely that someone will try. The fact that the location is off local trails and not to far into the region also makes it more likely it will be explored.

Tjoslin53

Bob Baxa

Postby Bob Baxa » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:16 am

I'm sure some individual will at least have the thought of trying to dig the site out. I've had the same thought over the years, I confess! People need to realize (as I have) that this thing is bigger than any individual, the legend and lore of the Lost Dutchman / Peralta mine is known throughout the world.
And, the sight is being monitored more closely than you might think. I suggest to everyone: go see it, take pictures until your camera battery goes dead, walk around and investigate the area. This is history and it should be seen by everyone who chooses to do so. When you retire from the canyon at the end of the day, leave it as you found it so others will have the same opportunity you had.
Over the years I've stood inside the funnel shape of the mine a hundred times and each time I've decided to leave it alone. The reason I leave it alone is simply because it's the right thing to do for all the dutch hunters, the people of Arizona, and the people of the country. As I stated before, this is far bigger than any one individual will ever be.

Bob Baxa

Postby Bob Baxa » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Just a quick note to any who are heading to the L&L I provided. In addition to the funnel shape on the east slope and the face looking up and to the east on the west slope, head north to the beginning of the canyon and take in the 3 tanks, it's a great site and they are probably the three tanks that Holmes was trying to locate with the Indian (Holmes Manuscript) Also, it's easy access to and from FWTH if you head directly north from the three tanks through the narrow opening between the slopes. You'll run into 104, you should come out between the two creek beds, head to the west, west again when you hit the intersection where 104 T's and the FWTH is about a quarter mile ahead. It's a great off-trail hike to and from the canyon. Stay safe everyone!

waschy

Postby waschy » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:36 pm

Are there people really looking for this mine? Can someone give me names or emails of people currently searching for it? I would love to join the search. Thanks!!

Bob Baxa

Postby Bob Baxa » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:32 pm

Yes, there are hundreds of people in Arizona and even more around the country searching for the LDM. But, if you want to join the search, read this article, buy a good Gps, head out to the longitude and latitude provided, take photos then return home. The next day get on your computer and go to Hubpages.com. Grab a protractor and copies of the Ruth / Peralta map. Search for "Chasing Pedro" parts 1 through 8. Read the articles and you've located the LDM. Your entire dutch hunting career should be about one weekend. One day in the Superstitions and the next on your computer. Be careful, be safe, and enjoy the mountains.

waschy

Postby waschy » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks Bob, I don't really know much about mountain hiking, etc. Would love to go with a group who searches regularly.

Return to “The Lost Dutchman Mine”