Circlestone Hike - October 2008

Moderator: Jim_b

cubfan64
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Circlestone Hike - October 2008

Post by cubfan64 »

Although this isn't related to any search for the LDM, since there was some interest on one of the other threads about Circlestone, I thought I'd share this.

October 2008 - my 3rd trip to the Superstitions from New Hampshire. On my first hike I wanted to see Circlestone after reading about it in Tom Kollenborn's book.

I wish I had more photographs to show here, but I had a large camera with me and I find that I often would rather just take in the scenery around me instead of stopping to take photographs all the time.

I drove from the Phoenix airport directly to Roger's Trough Trailhead arriving sometime after dark. Slept in the back of the rental SUV and woke up at dawn to an empty parking lot and a beautiful morning.

I had studied Jack Carlson's Hiker's Guide and pretty much followed the trail description all the way to Reavis Ranch. I took plenty of breaks as it quickly got warm that morning, including heading off trail briefly to find Elisha Reavis' grave site. The hike from there to the top of Reavis Saddle was HOT and tiring with no shade available, but the breeze and view up top was great.

The hike down from the saddle to Reavis Ranch was so different from any other place I've been in the Superstitions. If I hadn't known better, I would never have guessed I was near a desert! It was full of tall pine trees casting tons of shade and quiet small fields of tall grass.

I passed the fire line trail that I'd take the next day to Circlestone and then continued until I got to the site of Reavis Ranch. There is pretty much nothing left of the ranch but some foundation stones, rusted metal and fencing, but I was lucky enough to run into a fellow and his 2 sons who had ridden in from the north and told me a bit about the place. It was his son's first trip there and the older man hadn't been there for 20+ years. He pointed out where things used to be and lamented the fact that not only were there no apples there this year, but the trees themselves looked like they were in pretty rough shape. He said his family used to come out there years ago and pick apples by the bushel to take home.

Anyways, I set up camp and filled my water from the ice cold running stream right there. I had the place to myself that night and went to bed early. Didn't sleep as well as I had hoped as it got COLD in that valley during the night and I ended up putting all my clothes on and curling up in the sleeping bag just to lose the chill.

Woke up the next morning, packed up camp and headed back to the fire line trail and hiked the 2-3 miles up to Circlestone itself. It was very easy to find as the trails were well marked with cairns. I don't think many people make the hike every year, but those that do put up plenty of cairns to mark the way.

The view from Circlestone is wonderful in just about every direction! I may be wrong, but I believe Circlestone is located on the second highest point in the Superstitions - Mound Mountain just to the SW of Circlestone is slighly higher.

I hung around at Circlestone for a few hours - exploring the ruins, eating some lunch and taking a short nap. Finally, I had to pack up and hike back to the Roger's Trough Trailhead. I was mighty tired by the time I dragged myself into the parking lot, but it was still light out. I had almost forgotten how that last 2 miles or so of trail back to the parking lot was almost all uphill - at least it damn well felt that way!!!

Anyways - that's the story of my hike to Circlestone. I plan to do it again sometime soon, but I'm going to make it a longer trip so I can spend a full day exploring the ruins and hopefully camp out not far from it just for the experience.

Here's some photo's of Circlestone that I took - they each have a notation to explain them. Also, here's another link about Circlestone that you might find interesting:

http://www.celticnz.co.nz/Circlestone/Circlestone1.htm

Jim Hatt

Re: Circlestone Hike - October 2008

Post by Jim Hatt »

Great story and photos Paul,

In all my years of roaming around the mountains that is one place I have never been to. I could never make any "Dutchman" or Stone Map clues work in that area. The photos remind me more of Kentucky or Tennessee than of Arizona.

I'm going to have to take my horse up there, just so he can experience what it is like to graze on green grass. :lol:

Jim
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Yah, I know what you mean about it not fitting to the LDM search, but it definitely IS a beautiful place to explore and experience. You can't go up there and see the ruins of those walls without wondering the who's and why's of it.

Incidently - any hints on how I can make the photos smaller so they don't "expand" the thread like they do? It seems like every site is slightly different and I can't quite figure this one out yet.

Never mind - I figured it out, but time for bed - I'll fix the photos tomorrow
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Paul,

I can save you some trial & error with a small hint.

I always resize mine to 600 pixels wide before uploading them to photobucket. That keeps them from expanding the width of the page.

Jim
Guz

Post by Guz »

Jim, did you see the reference on page 2 of Cubfans link mentioning the LDM?

Guz
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Guz,

Yeah I saw that. It's kind of a "loose" reference tho. "In the very near vicinity of Circlestone observatory". I guess it depends on a person's definition of "Very Near Vicinity". When I saw Tom K's photos of it years ago, my first impression was that it was an old corral. That has stuck with me through the years, and it's kinda hard to shake off. From what I saw of it in the photos, it is not really round, nor is it level on all sides, like you would expect an observatory to be.

Someday I will have to go look at it up close and personal, and see what I think about it then. Until then... I am trying to remain open minded about it.

Jim
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Jim Hatt wrote:Paul,

I can save you some trial & error with a small hint.

I always resize mine to 600 pixels wide before uploading them to photobucket. That keeps them from expanding the width of the page.

Jim
Yup - that's what I discovered last night too :) Got them fixed this morning.

As far as Circlestone is concerned, it is truly quite circular for the most part. I can't access it from work, but if you have Google Earth, you can find it and zoom in close enough to see it from above and get a feel for the shape.

There are several things that have me believe it wasn't just a corral.

1) It's in a strange location (at least in my mind) for a corral - especially considering the rich land in the valley down by Reavis Ranch just a couple miles away where one would expect to find something like that.

2) There is a smaller stone structure located in the middle of the circle - what would be the purpose for that if it was a corral?

3) There was (at least at one time) a "window" or two with a large rock lintel above it. Again, I can't figure out what purpose there would be for something like that on a corral.

For me at least, there is more evidence to suggest it's something else other than a corral, but considering I have nothing more to go on other than my opinion, who knows :). No matter what, it's definitely worth a day to explore and take in the views! It does have a special "feel" to it when you're up there.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Having actually been there Paul, you obviously have a big advantage over someone who has just seen photos. I'm going to have to get up there and spend some time in the area.

Jim
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Image I have seen many of theses in my Indian days. I have seen them underground in sand, I have seen them halfway under ground with the walls made of rocks and the roof made of wood.I have seen them on top the earth like this one. It seemed to depend on the the resources in the area. I have seen one inside preserved with its contents.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Ive got photos of the one i worked on it was huge. On the inside is another room made from stacked rocks. It was set up like a compass the four walls on the inside being those points. The inside room was like 10x10 the outer circle 30 + feet across Ill try to dig up those photos.