3 hikers from Utah now missing in the Superstitions

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

TradClimber
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: 3 hikers from Utah now missing in the Superstitions

Post by TradClimber »

Hi Pattiman and welcome to the forum.

You didn't ask for any advice – but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway.

By all means try to find a companion to hike with you. One that has recent experience in the Superstitions would be a big plus.

If you don't already have – get a real map (USGS Topo) of the area and chart your progress on it as you go.

Let a responsible person know the roadhead, where you are going and when you plan to be back.

Be safe, have fun and good luck to you!

TradClimber

PS: Be sure to post back to this forum and let us know how it went.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

That's good advice TC!

As long as I have been following SAR operations. It always seems that the successful RESCUES, are because the person that got into some kind of trouble, filed a good "Hike Plan" and stuck to it, and the ones that turned into RECOVERY operations, were because the hiker either didn't leave a "Hike Plan" with someone, or they did not stick to it.

Tom K. has a nice recap of the whole story of the 3 missing hikers from Utah in his newspaper chronicle this week.

You can find it at: ajnews.com page A4

Best,

Jim
pattillman40

Post by pattillman40 »

Thx guys thats some great advice!! Growing up hiking the superstitions as a kid has taught me the dangers that go along with the beauty so i know better then to adventure out by myself. When I do go out ill prob just stick to the trails this time unless i find someone that knows the mountains a little better. Atleast until I become familiar with the area again. Thx again for the advice and I will definitely post pictures after the trip.
P.S the invitations always open ill be in Phoenix March 10th - 20th if anyone wants to join in on the hike
pattillman40

Post by pattillman40 »

here is the map I believe the 3 hikers were trying to follow from what was on the hand written map. I think they confused 2nd water with hackberry spring trail and had their north south east west directions confused...what do u all think?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
roward

Post by roward »

Hi, Jim,
I've been away from the forum for some time. I am wondering if there has been any determination of the cause of death of the 3 hikers whose bodies were found several months ago. Any indication of foul play? I assume not, or I would probably have read about it by now.
Bob
desertLilly

Post by desertLilly »

We as the relatives of one of the lost hikers, have never had an answer from the coroners, it was determined accidental death, and that doesn't say anything, really
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hi Bob!

Man it HAS been a long time! You have a lot of catching up to do, especially in the Sims Ely topic, and lots of other new ones. :D

Lilly,

Thanks for the update.

Best,

Jim
roward

Post by roward »

ok, Jim,
I will get on the Ely topic right away. Anything to do with him is always fascinating and controversial.
Bob
scorpionfan2012

Post by scorpionfan2012 »

roward wrote:Hi, Jim,
I've been away from the forum for some time. I am wondering if there has been any determination of the cause of death of the 3 hikers whose bodies were found several months ago. Any indication of foul play? I assume not, or I would probably have read about it by now.
Bob
OK, I am about to shock the LDM hunters with what I learned from the man who found the first body. He told me that all three had bullet holes in them. They were clothed skeleton with one having a bullet hole in the head and the other two with shots through the clothing in the back torso area. Someone needs to get ahold of the coroner's report. The story goes they were searching for the cave of gold bars hidden on Black Top Mesa. Mr. Merworth befriended an Indian in Utah and he gave them directions to the cave. Now I truly believe the stories about Indians guarding the gold in shifts whith high-powered rifles and scopes and they were shot from a distance. They got too close to the cave. One of the clues is look for the Indian pointing the direction to go. I saw this yesterday while camping at the foot of Black Top Mesa. I feared for my life for even looking that direction. There is a hidden back entrance. This is a warning. My theory is they did not want to disclose the outcome because of scaring people from hiking the Supers.
A black mark for search and rescue because my friend and I saw the coordinates they found on the map and went to First water Command Post and told them where to look for them. We were told that they go grid by grid in the search. They thought we were a couple of people who did not know what were talking about. The only saving grace was the fact they had been missing for three days and were probably already dead. I have held this secret as long as I can. Addidtion: Because they were found on Yellow Peaks on the First Water Trail=The Lost Dutchman Trail #104 I now feel they may have gotten some gold and were returning to their car when they were shot by who knows, anyone could be the culprit.
Last edited by scorpionfan2012 on Thu May 02, 2013 5:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
desertLilly

Post by desertLilly »

We just read your post, we are related to the Indian, He was Not on his death bed at the time of the hike, matter of fact, he was quite healthy for his age. But the fact that there was fould play involved, always has been in our minds. Not that it eases the pain of the loss of our brother, but it makes a hole lot of sense.