Coldest of the Cold Cases solved? - Amelia Earhart

Moderators: TradClimber, GeorgeW

Jim Hatt

Coldest of the Cold Cases solved? - Amelia Earhart

Post by Jim Hatt »

Chandler pilot and several others find evidence, may have found Amelia Earhart

* By: Mike Pelton

CHANDLER, AZ - A Valley pilot hopes he and several others are close to solving the mystery of Amelia Earhart.

Karl Kern, a Chandler pilot, joined in the search for Earhart’s remains two years ago. He joined The International Group For Historic Aircraft Recovery, or TIGHAR, who has been seeking answers for more than 20 years.

“It’s the coldest of cold cases,” said TIGHAR Executive Director Ric Gillespie.

Full story at:
http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/local_new ... ia-earhart
hikin_jim
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Coldest of the Cold Cases solved? - Amelia Earhart

Post by hikin_jim »

I keep seeing little snippets here and there about this. I guess the DNA evidence must still not be fully tested -- or it was negative. Were it positive, I think it'd be all over the news.

HJ
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

HJ,

It DID seem to just fade away without any conclusion didn't it?

Jim
hikin_jim

Post by hikin_jim »

The most recent article I could find is http://news.discovery.com/history/ameli ... sland.html

But it's still speculative. Apparently nothing conclusive has been determined.

HJ
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

I haven't posted in quite awhile but still lurk. I am a member of the TIGHAR Forum and very interested in the Amelia Earhart mystery. In the a nutshell their theory is that they crash landed on the coral reef that encircles the Nikumaroro Island (formerly Gardner Island) in the Republic of Kiribati. They plane was intact enough for them to make calls for help on the radio for a period of 4 days before the tides washed the plane over the reef edge in to the deep (in excess of 2,500 meters depth). They then became castaways on the uninhabited island and eventually met their deaths there. There was a partial skelton of a European female of her stature recovered from there a couple of years later and the final resting place of them bones is another intrinsic piece of the puzzle they are attempting to solve as if they find them and provide via DNA that they belong to her, CASE CLOSED! They have recovered numerous artifacts of the age and type that would have been used by someone of European descent but as it had been inhabited within a few years of her disappearance, for a time, they can not conclusively tie them to Amelia. DNA testing is still on-going but slow process due to DNA degradation from being in a tropical environment for 70+ years. TIGHAR is very cautious about releasing anything until they are sure of the results. Anyone interested can go to their website which has a wealth of information concerning this mystery at tighar.org.

Don
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

Anyone with questions concerning the Earhart mystery ask away and I should be able to answer it for you...

Don
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Hi Spyder and welcome to the forum.

hikin_jim posted:
But it's still speculative. Apparently nothing conclusive has been determined.
I agree with hj.

Without “hard” evidence – all we have is theories.

I wish TIGHAR luck in solving the Amelia Earhart mystery.

TradClimber
hikin_jim

Post by hikin_jim »

TradClimber wrote:I wish TIGHAR luck in solving the Amelia Earhart mystery.
Here, here. Thanks for the updates, Spyder.

HJ
Spyder

Post by Spyder »

TIGHAR has been at it over 20 years and getting closer with each expedition and I think that is one mystery that will be solved in my lifetime.

Would like to think that the LDM also will be found in my lifetime as well. One thing that that has always intrigued me though is, I thought that I have read somewhere (please correct me if I am wrong) that there was a major earthquake in the Supers sometime after the death of the Dutchman. Was the earthquake servere enough that it could have changed the landscape enough so as to wipeout some of the clues (if the correct ones were know) so that it would make it even less likely to be found using the clues?

Don