Pegleg's Lost Mine

Moderator: Jim_b

Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Pegleg's Lost Mine

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Jim Hatt: Maybe Jim B can show them. They were in some of the desert magazines, the pictures that is. I personally don't which issues had them. I've been sitting here thinking about this since Jim B put the article in here and I keep thinking (old age and loss of memory here) that I heard something about the black coated nuggets years ago when up in Ca. Also there was a tertiary stream bed that got raised up in the mother lode and then abruptly dissappeared up there that could have something to do with this. They name for the stream bed and I can't remember it. DARN

Don....
barb11

Post by barb11 »

Hello All-- I am new to this sort of research. I was wondering on the stories above (very good reads btw), if peg and his crew traveled south west for four days, from the Gila/colorado, to the southern base of some hills... if a person can walk approx 3 miles an hour and they travel from dusk to dawn, taking into consideration that time of year and heat conditions, say they walked about 7 hours a day, which would put them about 84 miles by the end of day four... and if they were indeed traveling south west; well, wouldn't that put them around Guadalupe victoria's southern point or somewhere around there in baja? How is it that folks keep putting them so short west and then so quickly north? Am I missing something? The distance from yuma to Jacumba is 94 miles, wouldn't they have been further south and east of there, then looking north at the three buttes from the base of some hills there? Or am I missing something? Thanks,
Barbara
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hi Barb,

Welcome to the forums!

Your logic and math are terrific! But now you have to consider all the variables, we deal with all the time, when analyzing stories about buried treasure and lost mines.

Stories are often not published as they were told. Facts get changed, or left out before they are shared with the world.

Was it really 3 days or 4 days they traveled?
Or... could it have been 2 or 5?

It is doubtful that they would have traveled during the heat of the day, more like early morning and late afternoon hours. Possibly even at night. Maybe only 6 hrs a day or as many as 12???

If one of those numbers is incorrect, where would that put you? Now consider that 2 of them might be incorrect.

I understand... You are just working with the information provided to form a theory. You did a wonderful job using the information at hand, but I wouldn't spend too much of my life, out there looking for it, where that theory tells you to look.

It only takes a few "Wild Goose Chases" in the field before a person starts looking at every new story and wondering...

Now what could be wrong with this story? Where are all the possible variables? How much could they impact the calculated search area?

Please don't be offended by this reply. Like I said. Your logic and math are great. I would not discourage you from going right to the place you calculated, and looking around. But if it is not there. And you start adding/subtracting a day or two, and as much as 6 hours per day. Your search area will grow so large that you might not ever be able to cover it all in one ifetime.

Hope you are enjoying the forums, and are not offended by my skepticism.

I would enjoy hearing some of your logical conclusions, about some of the other subjects being discussed here also.

Jim

Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

And now maybe you can understand why some have doubts about the LDM. So many lookers, so little to show. But I am glad so many continue to look for the LDM, leaving many other gold bearing areas unsearched, while they look for the *LDM* :lol:
Guz

Post by Guz »

I'm happy someone is talking about something besides the LDM.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Obviously you have some kind of problem with the LDM Guz. Since you seem to be sharing Goldseeker's disgust with the subject, I strongly encourage you to do your browsing somewhere other than the forums that I moderate.
Guz

Post by Guz »

Uncalled for.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

It is possible that I misunderstood your statement Guz, and you had no idea what you were walking into the middle of between Goldseeker and I.

From my point of view, you were both testing the warning I gave him just a few days ago, about staying out of the forums that I moderate.

Like I said, I see where I could have misunderstood your comment, and your reply suggests that I did.
If so I apologize.

Jim

desert wanderer
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by desert wanderer »

Jim H, I used to live in California for many years prior to moving to Arizona. I have researched the Peg Leg story over the years, and read as much as I could about it, Its my belief that the area in question may be in the Chocolate Mountain area.
Please refer to this article at; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chocolate_Mountains
It states, briefly, that the world's richest gold rift zone, is in the Chocolate Mountains! Unfortunately, the area is under control of the Chocolate Mountain Aerial Gunnery Range. So we prospectors are not allowed to prospect in the area.
The Peg Leg story mentions that they went southwest. And that they saw a high mountain to the northwest. Assuming this is true, they would have drifted into Mexico, and were in an area that isn't known for rich or extensive gold deposits.
I'm thinking that the Peg Leg trapping party either deliberately fibbed about the area that Peg Leg found the gold, OR were simply mistaken due to disorientation from dehydration. What's your opinion, Jim? (or anyone else that has an opinion!)
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

desert wanderer wrote:the area is under control of the Chocolate Mountain Aerial Gunnery Range. So we prospectors are not allowed to prospect in the area.
DW,

Simply AMAZING how that stuff happens isn't it?
(First time I ever censored myself here) :shock:

I looked into the Peg-Leg story when I first came to Arizona, and like yourself, came to the conclusion that it was in the Choc. Mtns. in an area that was closed to prospecting. I never spent any more time researching or chasing that "rabbit".

Welcome to the forums. Hope you find it to be a comfortable place to hang-out, share your stories and enjoy some of ours.

Jim