Cottonwood canyon

Moderator: somehiker

cubfan64
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Cottonwood canyon

Post by cubfan64 »

Tom, Jim or anyone who knows...

I recall someone telling me that the "real" Cottonwood Canyon ("real" meaning what was referred to years ago) is NOT the one seen on current topographic maps. The current one is the one just NE of the Salt Flats on Peter's Mesa that continues in a N/NE direction into Tortilla Mountain.

Can you show on a topo map the location of what was originally called Cottonwood Canyon?

Thanks,
paul
LDMGOLD

Re: Cottonwood canyon

Post by LDMGOLD »

Paul:

There are four large canyons that flow westward off of Tortilla Mountain. Over the years they have had different names. Depending on who you talk to. John "Hoolie" Bacon, Floyd Stone, Alva Reser, Clay Worst,Micky Plemmons, Elmer Pope the Crabtree's, Charliebois, La Barge, Bill Martin Sr., Walt Gassler and other old timers all had different names in different order. Today even the USGS confuses the names of these canyons. There are some early military sketch maps c. 1864-1868 that refer to Cottonwood Canyon as Apache (Ambush) Canyon. Flowing into Peter's Canyon from Tortilla Mountain north to south are Apache Canyon, Crab Canyon, Cottonwood Canyon, and Burnt Canyon. Crab Canyon has two sources for its name. One is it was named after Crabtree family and the other names allegedly originated from a group of prospectors who had the "crabs". I sincerely believe this one to be of local vernacular. The think an argument can be made for any canyon being called something else because place names change with each generation or so. Some people don't bother to look at maps they just assign their own name to a landmark. The final product is one name is just as good as another name. Of course this creates confusion for the future generations who are trying to identify landmarks or to read hand-drawn maps. I have been working on a place name book for the Superstition area for more then twenty years and I am more confused today about Superstition regional landmarks then I was twenty years ago. Paul I have a data base with over 3,700 names in it and at least sixty different sources. This problem is not just true with this area, but all over the world. Place names change from generation to generation. A classic example is the Flat Iron and Ship Rock on Superstition Mountain. When it comes to landmarks I rest my case.

Tom K.

Tom K.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Thanks for the response and information Tom. I can't place it in my head, but I could swear I either read or heard someone mention something about the "REAL" Cottonwood Canyon in the Superstitions and I figured you would probably be the best person who might know the answer.

It's quite likely I either misread, misheard, misunderstood or completely dreamt the whole thing up and I haven't been able to find the reference I was thinking about, but I appreciate your response very much!

It reminds me again that I need to either carry around a small notepad to jot stuff down, or better yet spend some of my Christmas gift money on a small digital recorder.

Thanks again.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

cubfan64 wrote:Tom, Jim or anyone who knows...

I recall someone telling me that the "real" Cottonwood Canyon ("real" meaning what was referred to years ago) is NOT the one seen on current topographic maps. The current one is the one just NE of the Salt Flats on Peter's Mesa that continues in a N/NE direction into Tortilla Mountain.

Can you show on a topo map the location of what was originally called Cottonwood Canyon?

Thanks,
paul

Paul,

There is just no way to improve or expand on Tom's reply to you, so I won't even try. Seems to me that you and I did have a discussion about there being a canyon that was known to the 'ole timers as "Cottonwood canyon", which is different than the one shown on topo maps today. But I'll be darned if I can remember why the subject came up.

Hopefully Tom answered your question and it really doesn't matter.

Best,

Jim
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Jim Hatt wrote:
cubfan64 wrote:Tom, Jim or anyone who knows...

Thanks,
paul

Paul,

There is just no way to improve or expand on Tom's reply to you, so I won't even try. Seems to me that you and I did have a discussion about there being a canyon that was known to the 'ole timers as "Cottonwood canyon", which is different than the one shown on topo maps today. But I'll be darned if I can remember why the subject came up.

Hopefully Tom answered your question and it really doesn't matter.

Best,

Jim
Yup - he answered my question, and I do recall talking to you about Cottonwood Canyon during out hike last fall, but I think the "genesis" of my wondering about it came earlier even though I still can't find the source or reason for asking.

Like you said, it probably doesn't really matter, but if I ever run across it again I'll have the answer.
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Paul,

Nothing like having a ready ANSWER just sitting there waiting to be matched up with a question is there? :lol:

That doesn't happen very often.

Best,

Jim
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

There is a Cottonwood Canyon that empties into the Salt River below Mormon Flat Dam on the north side of the river. There many Cottonwood Canyons in Arizona.

Tom K.