Edward S. Curtis books and stories

Moderator: somehiker

silent hunter
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Edward S. Curtis books and stories

Post by silent hunter »

To All, My reply was not to Joe......I was wanting to get a conversation going with the Spirit.....You all are aware that my Father is Indian from Utah....I wanted to discuss The Movie (Smoke Signals) And other Movies such as Windwalker. There is a part in the Movie where they are in the valley close to the supes...Spirit have you seen my Zuni thread on this site?? Sorry for the long time in between post....Double Jack has been asked to be used as a Search and Rescue from Pinal county Sheriffs office search and rescue...We have been brushing up on remote desert locations.....

Best Silent Hunter
Double-Jack Inc.
i-tsari-tsu-i

Post by i-tsari-tsu-i »

silent hunter wrote:To All, My reply was not to Joe......I was wanting to get a conversation going with the Spirit.....You all are aware that my Father is Indian from Utah....I wanted to discuss The Movie (Smoke Signals) And other Movies such as Windwalker. There is a part in the Movie where they are in the valley close to the supes...Spirit have you seen my Zuni thread on this site?? Sorry for the long time in between post....Double Jack has been asked to be used as a Search and Rescue from Pinal county Sheriffs office search and rescue...We have been brushing up on remote desert locations.....

Best Silent Hunter
Double-Jack Inc.
Kurt,

I never thought that post was intended for me. Don't see how anyone else could think that either. :lol:
About that SAR thingie........The County has a huge financial liability factor in using civilians in any searches. Because of that, there are many, many hours of training and certifications that each member must go through.

On the other hand, helicopter's and private planes are often used, but that ain't easy either. If SAR has come to you asking for your help, you are an exceptional person, just as you have often told us.

Good luck,

Joe
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

About that SAR thingie........The County has a huge financial liability factor in using civilians in any searches. Because of that, there are many, many hours of training and certifications that each member must go through.

On the other hand, helicopter's and private planes are often used, but that ain't easy either. If SAR has come to you asking for your help, you are an exceptional person, just as you have often told us.

Good luck,

Joe

I could not have said it any better than that!!!! We are helping with remote area rescue...Such as off trail areas......

Double-Jack Inc.
spirit

Post by spirit »

silent hunter,

You asked me about two movies, Smoke Signals and Windwalker.

I do not have the opportunity to watch many films. I did see the Smoke Signals film once but did not have much of a good impression of it. Did not see the other movie you mentioned, Windwalker.

To answer, I have not seen your Zuni site, am unable to find it here. You mentioned your Utah father, is he also Zuni ?

I am descent from the Tiis Ebah band of Pinal Apache, the t-uhana-ne (across the water people). Sometime my clan is also called the, Todil-xile Nne (Black water people) from along the Black River and Point of Pines at San Carlos.

According to Anna Price, the t-uhana-ne of the Pinal Apache are related to the
t-udntc-i-dn clan of the Navajo and Zuni. The clan name is the same for both Navajo and Zuni. How this is has been lost and I don't know anyone of that clan today.

spirit
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

spirit:

Does your clan have any history relating to the Superstition Mountains ?
Do you know of any ongoing activity by San Carlos band members in these mountains ?

Regards:Somehiker

PS: I have also posted a photo and question in the Native History topic.
spirit

Post by spirit »

somehiker,

You asked the question, do the t-uhana-ne have any history relating to the Superstition mountains and if I know of any ongoing activity by San Carlos bands in those mountains.

Yes, the t-uhana-ne have a history relating to the Superstition mountains. But not all Apache have this history with those mountains. You must first understand the San Carlos Apache at one time were descent from some 5 seperate bands, and a little over 65 seperate clans within those bands. Today, some of those clans have disapeared or merged with other clans. Many of the old clans had a religious fear of the Superstition mountains. They believed a wild tribe of people lived in those mountains and would either kill or make slaves of everyone who intruded. Also they believed the hadilhkih chidin ya-a-diz-tan dwells there and is a frightening diety. For those reasons they would not enter those particular mountains.

But not all of the clans believed in this wild race of people, and even though they believed in the chidin diety, they did not fear entering those mountains because of it. So you have some clans who do have a history with those particular mountains and some who do not.

As recent as the 1970's, grandma Boni , Molley Boni, and her clan still held a great fear of those mountains. Once her son David and David's nephew Ronald, agreed to accompany some others into the Superstition mountains. Grandma Boni and her family made death clothes for David and Ronald and brought them gifts thinking they would never see them again. When they departed to enter the mountains, there was much crying and wailing among the family and the gotah (members of the close family and their clan unit).

Some clans today have activity in those mountains as they do other mountains within and outside San Carlos. But as I said before, it is specific to the clan, not to the band or what some consider the present tribal designations.

spirit
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

spirit:

Thanks for your very interesting and understandable reply.

Regards: Wayne
i-tsari-tsu-i

Post by i-tsari-tsu-i »

spirit wrote:somehiker,

You asked the question, do the t-uhana-ne have any history relating to the Superstition mountains and if I know of any ongoing activity by San Carlos bands in those mountains.

Yes, the t-uhana-ne have a history relating to the Superstition mountains. But not all Apache have this history with those mountains. You must first understand the San Carlos Apache at one time were descent from some 5 seperate bands, and a little over 65 seperate clans within those bands. Today, some of those clans have disapeared or merged with other clans. Many of the old clans had a religious fear of the Superstition mountains. They believed a wild tribe of people lived in those mountains and would either kill or make slaves of everyone who intruded. Also they believed the hadilhkih chidin ya-a-diz-tan dwells there and is a frightening diety. For those reasons they would not enter those particular mountains.

But not all of the clans believed in this wild race of people, and even though they believed in the chidin diety, they did not fear entering those mountains because of it. So you have some clans who do have a history with those particular mountains and some who do not.

As recent as the 1970's, grandma Boni , Molley Boni, and her clan still held a great fear of those mountains. Once her son David and David's nephew Ronald, agreed to accompany some others into the Superstition mountains. Grandma Boni and her family made death clothes for David and Ronald and brought them gifts thinking they would never see them again. When they departed to enter the mountains, there was much crying and wailing among the family and the gotah (members of the close family and their clan unit).

Some clans today have activity in those mountains as they do other mountains within and outside San Carlos. But as I said before, it is specific to the clan, not to the band or what some consider the present tribal designations.

spirit
Spirit,

Do you know anything about the Edwards or Irving families? I believe they were friends of Mollie Boni.

Thanks,

Joe
spirit

Post by spirit »

i-tsaritsu-i,

I do not understand your question. "Do you know anything about the Edwards or Irving families" ?

Yes I know about the Edwards and Irving families. I don't know what you mean by asking, anything.

spirit
i-tsari-tsu-i

Post by i-tsari-tsu-i »

spirit wrote:i-tsaritsu-i,

I do not understand your question. "Do you know anything about the Edwards or Irving families" ?

Yes I know about the Edwards and Irving families. I don't know what you mean by asking, anything.

spirit
Spirit,

I suppose I meant.....Can you tell us any stories about those families. Just basic history is what I'm looking for.

Thanks for your reply,

Joe