Anza Borrego

Moderator: Jim_b

Iggy
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Anza Borrego

Post by Iggy »

Henriëtte:
If anyone is interested in reading the web page in German you can download a program (add-on) from Firefox called Globefish. It will translate in English. Like Don said the photos are fantastic. I love the photo of the catwalk.
This is the same message in German.
Wenn jemand beim Lesen der Webseite in deutscher Sprache können Sie ein Programm (Add-on) von Firefox als Download Globefish interessiert. Es wird in englischer Sprache zu übersetzen. Wie Don sagte der Bilder sind fantastisch. Ich liebe das Bild von den Laufsteg.
Henriëtte:Is this correct?
Henriëtte

Post by Henriëtte »

What a great forum is this, thanks again for the tips. We've already taken a quick look on the videos and the rental car site, this weekend we will have more time for some further exploration.

Well, we aren't professional photographers... just amateurs. Most pictures have been made by Hanz, my husband. We hope we can make some nice ones in Anza Borrego next year, and of course we will let you know where you can find them.

Iggy, I'm sorry, I don't know if the translation is correct. Because we're not German ;) We live in the Netherlands (Holland), next to Germany. I can read a little German, as far as I can see it's pretty accurate.
Iggy

Post by Iggy »

Your welcome Henriëtte. Looking forward to the photos of your trip.
Borrego Linda
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Borrego Linda »

Hello Henriëtte and welcome to the forum!

We live in Borrego Springs which is surrounded by the Anza Borrego SP. and we explore it often. The first thing to do when you arrive is go to the visitor center and check on road conditions. The road conditions change from day to day sometimes depending on how much rain the desert has had. Sometimes a road that was passable in a 2 wheel drive car 1 day may only be accessed by 4wd the next! The visitor center has an updated road condition board and the volunteers at the center can also show you maps and give you tons of useful information on exploring our beautiful area! There is also a great slide show there that I feel is a must.

I know you will find many roads to explore and many trails to hike when you visit. And the book is a great place to start!

Linda
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

Looks like lots of good info has already been posted. 8-)

Someone mentioned Lowell and Diana Lindsay book, they have written a few helpful, up to date books on the area.

Lindsay (with other’s) also has a GREAT DVD about Marshal South and Ghost Mtn. They show this DVD at the visitor center, and it’s well worth the time to watch it and then drive out to Ghost Mountain and walk around the old home site.

Also your photo skills may be put to good use at the Pumpkin Patch. The Pumpkin Patch is outside the park, but only a few miles.

If you get a rental 4X4 make sure the 4 wheel-drive still works. Sometimes the rental companies disconnect the system because they don’t allow you to drive off paved roads. In ABSP you can be driving on soft sand and a working 4X4 is very helpful.

When you get Lindsay’s book, look in the index for ‘The Slot’ and the ‘Mud Caves’, Since you asked about slot canyons, these may fit you wants.

Hi Linda, have you talked to or seen Pamela Andersen lately? I haven’t seen her post in a long time and was hoping everything is OK with them.
Borrego Linda

Post by Borrego Linda »

SteveS wrote:
Hi Linda, have you talked to or seen Pamela Andersen lately? I haven’t seen her post in a long time and was hoping everything is OK with them.
No...haven't heard of her either for a long time.
Pamela Lee

Post by Pamela Lee »

Hey...where is the wildly waving my hand smilie when I need it? :lol:

I'm here I'm here! Hi Linda! Hi Steve!

I'm back!! And lo and behold found a question I can help with!

Welcome H & H! Although not as fortunate as Linda is to be able to live in Borrego Springs, we do have a little place down in Ocotillo Wells which is very close to BS.

You've already been given some excellent hints and tips so there isn't much for me to offer.

I do recommend you make sure to stop into the Anza Borrego Desert Natural History Association store in BS. It is close to Christmas Circle, just across the parking lot from Carlee's.

They have a book where visitors and members jot down what they have seen or noticed and where and when.

If you can turn your trip around so that you are in BS the first weekend in April, may I be the first to invite you to the PegLeg Smith Liar's Contest. A Saturday night of laughs and tall tales and fellowship that is hard to beat. So writes one of the stars of the Cactus Cowboy Players (so what if there is only 2 of us - we're both stars!) who took home the 1st place trophy this year.

In case no one has suggested it yet, I'd be getting my reservation in for a room in BS early. Hopefully there will be lots of wildflowers in April and the town will be packed.

Pamela Lee
Henriëtte

Post by Henriëtte »

Thanks for the invitation, Pamela Lee. Sounds like a lot of fun, but unfortunately we won't be able to come to Borrego Springs in the first weekend of April. We will be flying from Amsterdam to Los Angeles on April 18th, Anza Borrego is our first destination. We will be flying back from San Francisco on May 14th.

I've just watched a few of the videos. One of the things we certainly want to do, is drive up to Font's Point. Does anyone know what's the best time of the day to make pictures of the badlands, early morning, late evening or maybe another part of the day?

Henriëtte
Borrego Linda

Post by Borrego Linda »

Henriëtte wrote:Thanks for the invitation, Pamela Lee. Sounds like a lot of fun, but unfortunately we won't be able to come to Borrego Springs in the first weekend of April. We will be flying from Amsterdam to Los Angeles on April 18th, Anza Borrego is our first destination. We will be flying back from San Francisco on May 14th.

I've just watched a few of the videos. One of the things we certainly want to do, is drive up to Font's Point. Does anyone know what's the best time of the day to make pictures of the badlands, early morning, late evening or maybe another part of the day?

Henriëtte
Early morning and sunset are the greatest times on Font's. In fact we were up there yesterday morning! The shadows over the badlands make them look fantastic.
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

Good answer, Linda! Two years ago my wife and I went there to watch the sunset. So cool--the sun set then we were blessed with a full moon which enhanced the badlands. A glass of wine, cheese and crackers and nature made for a memorable experience! Mike C. Brea Ca