Anza Borrego

Moderator: Jim_b

Guz
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Anza Borrego

Post by Guz »

The photography is out of this world. Great job H&H!
Henriëtte

Post by Henriëtte »

Our mailman delivered the Anza-Borrego Desert Region book a few days ago, so I can start doing my homework ;)

First trip we are planning is a drive through Sandstone Canyon. I've seen a video on YouTube, and I understand the canyon is very narrow at some places. In the book I read that in 1992 tons of debris fell onto the floor near the mouth of Sandstone Canyon, and for years it has been a hikers canyon only. Somewhere else I read that you can drive into the canyon about 15 miles, then it becomes too narrow. The narrow part isn't too long, so it is possible to do this on foot.

Can you tell me if I interpreted this information correctly. We'd like to drive into the canyon for about 15 miles, do some hiking, and then return the same way as we came. Is this possible with a stock 4x4? Does anyone know how far the narrow part of the canyon is?

Another completely different question: are there clean but simple motels in the Anza Borrego area (Motel 6 or something like that)?

Thanks again....
SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by SteveS »

I haven’t been up Sandstone Canyon in about a year, but last time I was there you are understanding correctly.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Henriëtte: If you don't already know this, then please take in this little piece of advice. If your in a canyon or wash somewhere and start to loose traction with the rental 4X4 then let some air out of the tires till you can see them start to bulge a LITTLE. This will give you an amazingly higher percentage of traction. After you leave the canyon, you'll have to go a station and refill them. DON'T drive on highways above 45 miles an hour with the tire pressure lowered as this could lead to overheated sidewalls (in the tires) and cause a blow out.

But it might get you out of a sticky situation.

Don....
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

Henriette, your decision to go to Sandstone Canyon is a must! Remember---the visitor center will provide you with current road conditions.
As you get deeper in the canyon, you will know when to stop the vehicle to hike in further. Hiking in the canyon about a mile or so (depending on present conditions) is about as far as you will go. There is no problem about turning around to come out the same way you came in. I do it all the time. When starting out heading south on Split Mountain Road (towards Sandstone Canyon) you will pass a primitive campground. Then you will soon drive through the "Anticline". You want to stop there to take in the natural beauty with these magnificent vertical walls. Just beyond that point on your drive you will see a small sign on your left that says Wind Caves. Park there and take the 1/2 mile hike to them! Great place for a picnic or just simply enjoying these wind caves---it's like being on another planet! You can't see these caves from the road, you must hike to them. As you drive beyond that point you will see on your left what they call "elephant knees". This is clearly visible from the road and if you choose there is a trail that leads to them. As you drive Sandstone Canyon will split off to the right. BE SURE YOU PAY ATTENTION TO THE SIGN POSTS ALONG THE WAY! Along many of the dirt roads in areas like this there will always be other roads splitting off in either direction making things somewhat confusing at times.
It's good you now have the book---lots of good information in there---almost too much! On or about page 278 you will find some information on camping and motels. I highly recommend Hacienda Del Sol. It's walking distance to stores and restaurants.
Hacienda Del Sol
PO box 366
Borrego Springs, Ca 92004
(760)767-5442
Hope this helps, don't be afraid of asking questions! There are a WHOLE lot of members out here to help you on your future visit.
Take care
Mike C
Brea Ca :D
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

Henriëtte wrote:..... In the book I read that in 1992 tons of debris fell onto the floor near the mouth of Sandstone Canyon,........
The big rock (blockage) you read about near the mouth of Sandstone Canyon went away after a flash floor about 10 years ago. Before that only the narrowest of 4x4s could get thru. Back then a narrow 4x4 could get all the way up to where the canyon opened up without driving on the sidewall. There was a GREAT camp site at the end. Back then there was very few going up sandstone canyon, I never saw any hikers, and seldom saw tire tracks. Remember those days guys? 8-)

I do recall seeing some pictures on the internet that the narrow part of sandstone canyon has been blocked to vehicles by the Park Service because of the huge amount of traffic now using Sandstone Canyon. I’m hope they did this because full size vehicles have blackened to sides of the canyon driving thru the narrow part.

About that big rock (blockage) I would have paid $500 to see the flash flood that removed that blockage. I’d only paid the money after I saw it from a safe vantage point. The rock was about the size of a 1000 sq ft house, and it just disappeared :shock:
CowboySlim

Post by CowboySlim »

Henriëtte wrote:
Another completely different question: are there clean but simple motels in the Anza Borrego area (Motel 6 or something like that)?

Thanks again....
When I go with my family, each fall and spring, we stay at the Palm Canyon Resort.

When I am by myself, I've stayed at the Hacienda del Sol, just west of the circle.
It is close enough to Carlee's to get back and forth on foot and not to worry about getting a ride.
Borrego Linda

Post by Borrego Linda »

As has been said a few times - the first thing to do before you go off road is to check the road conditions at the visitor center. The Split Mtn. area had a bid rain storm this past weekend and rangers were saying the roads were bad, so things change rapidly out here!

No Motel 6's here! No chains at all. The hotel suggestions that you've been given are good ones!
Henriëtte

Post by Henriëtte »

Thank you for all these tips. We've checked out the websites of Hacienda del Sol (couldn't find any prices) and Palm Canyon Resort (looks really good), so I'll keep these two in mind.

Yes, we know about airing down the tires when driving in sandy areas, although so far we never actually have done this. And - whenever possible - we always go to a Visitor Center or a BLM office to ask about the road conditions, better be safe then sorry. Sandstone Canyon sounds really great, so I hope the road conditions will be good next April.

Can someone tell us how far the Elephant Knees hike is? Which of the three hikes mentioned here is the most beautiful, Wind Caves, Elephant Knees or hiking through the small section of Sandstone Canyon?
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

Elephant Knees is about 1/2 miles to hike to. Remember, you can see them from the road unlike the wind caves. Don't confuse Elephant Knees with the trail to the elephant trees which I remember being about 1 and1/2 miles. The most scenic are Sandstone Canyon and the wind caves. Wherever you choose to stay be sure to make your reservations ahead of time as in Spring many people book rooms because of the wildflower viewing. Have fun! Mike C. Brea, Ca :) p.s.---I'm glad you got the book as it is very helpful.