A Question for all you off-road mud diggers.

Moderator: Jim_b

Apache Devil

A Question for all you off-road mud diggers.

Post by Apache Devil »

I have a 2x2 Nissan Frontier and because I keep getting flat tires when I use regular street tires, I am wanting to put knobbies on it. When I ask friends and people at the tire shops, I get mixed advice as to whether I can use knobbies all the way around on a 2x2. About a quarter say only on the back, another half say all the way around and another quarter say no knobbies on a 2x2 period. I would prefer to do them all the way around since the idea is not only to get a bit more traction in the rear, but also not have flimsy street tires that keep getting popped by lava cinders. What d'yall think?
SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: A Question for all you off-road mud diggers.

Post by SteveS »

It sounds like you need light truck (LT) tires instead of passenger car (P) tires. You can put LT tires on you rig, but you will need advice on the size that will fit, then you can use any tread your want. The tread style you run on the front or rear is up to you.

I currently run Goodyear’s but had very good luck with BF Goodrich tires off-highway.

BTW this is a ‘desert’ site, not much mud around here.
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

I agree with Steve. LT tires help avoid punctures, but they do make the ride a bit firmer. I also wouldn't run mud tires unless you are really going to be in the mud. My 4X4 had a noticeable loss of traction in the desert when I switched from AT to mud tires. Mud tires are designed to dig in, which is the opposite of what you want in the sand.

Lee
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

Thanks for the input guys. I just bought a nice heavy-duty set of LT's.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I'm currently running BF Goodrich "Baja Champion" AT/ TAs

Very good in the sharp lava rock AND the sand. I find plenty of both where I go. Out here in the desert, I don't find much mud but they did OK when the road into my place became a creekbed three winters ago.

I stay out of the mud.
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

I stay out of the sand with 2x2, but lava cinders are a big concern. Nearly all the unpaved roads in central and eastern Oregon are covered with them. I settled on Westlake AT SL309's. I was going to buy a 4x4 this year but with the gas situation being unpredictable and electrics and hybrids coming in ever larger numbers, I decided to hold out and see what happens for a while first.
desert wanderer
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by desert wanderer »

Apache Devil, If you can, absolutely buy a 4wheel drive. Such a rig will enable you to navigate through more varied and difficult terrain. And, you'll be able to negotiate mud, sand, and snow with much more stability and control. Therefore you'll be safer and will be able to better enjoy the ride out to where your imagination and the road takes you. I have 2 four wheel drives and 1 two wheel drive. I can get to many of my favorite places with the 2 wheeler, but its much harder on the vehicle because I have to increase the speed to keep my momentum. When you speed through sand with a 2 wheeler, you must go fast, and that increases the likely hood of hitting a rock or other obstructions. And you MUST go fast through sand with a 2 wheel drive, or you'll sink and get stuck. A four wheel drive will enable you to get to places in the back of beyond, that will exceed your expectations and desert dreams!
Tommy
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Tommy »

Tires are usually a compromise, like everything else. There are some very sturdy bias plies out there but they wear faster, flat spot overnight and reportedly give worse fuel economy. They have really tough sidewalls though.

Radials have improved through the years but they still aren't as durable. The BFG Mud and all terrains are ok but there are much tougher tires out there.

I'm surprised no one has suggested a locking differential for your 2x4. It makes a huge difference in where your rig will go. If you don't believe me look at Robby Gordon's Dakar rig. I've seen locked 2wds go places open diffed 4x4s couldn't.

A winch would also be a great investment.