Ladder Canyon in the Mecca Hills Wilderness

Moderator: Jim_b

Henriëtte
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Ladder Canyon in the Mecca Hills Wilderness

Post by Henriëtte » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:36 am

Hi. Has anyone of you ever been to Ladder Canyon in the Mecca Hills Wilderness? We wonder how difficult the sandy road to the trailhead is, is there a ranger station where we can ask how the current conditions are? Is it a place worth visiting? I hope someone can give me some more information.

http://www.johnandkristie.com/archives/ ... anyon.html
http://www.eugenecarsey.com/camp/orocop ... ladder.htm

Guz

Re: Ladder Canyon in the Mecca Hills Wilderness

Post by Guz » Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:17 pm

I have been there many times. The last part of the road is in a wash but easy to drive up with a 4x4. No ranger station. Ladder canyon is pretty neat. Ladder canyon is an offshoot of painted canyon and a nice circular hike. Its not really an entire day thing though unless you combine that with a drive up box canyon road. My wife and I do this 3-4 times a year. Just a fantastic short trip. Lots of other great spots in that area as well.

Guz

HSSC

Post by HSSC » Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:42 pm

So how many acres comprise this wilderness area ?

Guz

Post by Guz » Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:22 pm

from a BLM map: meccacopia special recreation area (SRMA) was designated in december 2002 as part of the California Desert Conservation Area (CDCA) plan for coachella Valley. The goal for this area is to provide a balance between recreational and enviromental needs while sustaining a healthy ecosystem. The SRMA consists of approximately 144,000 acres, including two congressionally designated areas, Mecca Hills and Orocopia mountains Wilderness, plus surrounding limited use area. the Meccacopia SRMA is a unique mixture of stunning landscapes, tectonic formations, and specialized plant and animal life.

The meccacopia SRMA has an outstanding network of routes designed for backcountry touring and mororized recreation. Unlimited camping, sightseeing, and hiking opportunities are also available. Historical and cultural eveidence is still visible today in the form of stagecoace routes, Native American trails, and lands that were once the site of WWII military maneuvers.

Not a whole lot ever gets mentioned about this area but I can attest to its beauty and interest. Now just to get the navy to let me into the chocolate mountains just to the south without being a target...(its a bombing range)

Guz

Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:48 pm

I did look that area up on my topo and it's a spot we'll have to get over to. Looks interesting. It's not far from our few trips up the Bradshaw trail and into the Red Cloud Mine area. A hard run early one morning and we should be able to do it in a day? Maybe?

About the Chocolate Mountains Bombing Range -- they have gotten really tough about trespassers at least in the Southeast portion of the Range. Fines are running $5,000. We wandered into the range one Sunday and luckily got out undetected. Their fence was gone and the signs as well in a wide wash we went up. Won't make that mistake again.

Don....

Henriëtte

Post by Henriëtte » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:21 am

Thanks Guz. It's our intention go drive from Anza Borrego to Joshua Tree NP, and Ladder Canyon sounds like a nice sidetrip. We've never been in this area before, so tips are very welcome. We do like driving dirtroads, but because we will be driving in a rental 4x4 (the tires of these cars usually aren't good enough for the really rough roads) we have to be careful in choosing our routes. Hiking is great too, but technically difficult hikes are out of our league, too. I guess the Ladder Canyon hike isn't a diffucult one, regarding the photographs I found?

Sandman

Post by Sandman » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:12 am

We hiked ladder canyon a few years back and had no problems.I dont think I put it in 4 wheel dirive. Try letting a little air out ouf your tires if you get stuck. Carry a jack and some boards wherever you go. Chances are, if you have em, you wont need them

Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:12 pm

Henriëtte: There's a write-up right here on DUSA about the Painted Canyon area. Here's the link to it.

http://www.desertusa.com/magfeb98/stories/Paintcny.html

And for future use, I found this very easily using the Google Site search feature on the home page of this site.
And of course personal experiences here on the forum are always helpful as well.

Don....

LeeVW

Post by LeeVW » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:41 pm

"Carry a jack and some boards wherever you go."

And a shovel!

Thanks to all for the tips on Ladder Canyon. Yet another thing for my to-do list!

Lee

Henriëtte

Post by Henriëtte » Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:56 am

It's a good thing we still have 7 months before we go to the USA. I've got a lot of reading to do, that's for sure :)

The Painted Canyon pictures do remind me of Artist's Palette in Death Valley, Don. Thanks for the link.