APACHE TRAIL

Moderator: Jim_b

Mike C.

APACHE TRAIL

Post by Mike C. »

Anybody familiar with this area of Arizona? I discovered this area about 30 years ago and have been returning there usually in Spring ever since. Apache Lake is usually where we camp; not at the marina area but a little to the east of there at Upper Burnt Corral. Lots of wildlife and good fishing. From a boat there are all kinds of cool things to explore by beaching it and go by foot. Just wondering---never hear much of anything about this area on DUSA. Have fun, Mike C. :D
Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: APACHE TRAIL

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Where is Apache Lake Mike, near what so I can find it.
Don...
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

It's located within Tonto National Forest on the north side of the Superstition Wilderness. Take 88 to the east from Apache Junction {Apache Trail}. Soon things change and you arrive at Canyon Lake. Beyond there you will arrive in Tortilla Flat---cool--check it out! Good Eats! Beyond that you will go through Fish Creek Pass {switchbacks}. The mile long road to Apache Lake will be well marked to your left. Burnt Corral Campground is a few miles {less than ten} east of the main turnoff to Apache Lake. I'll be happy to answer any questions. Enjoy Life! Mike C.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Ok, thanks Mike. We've been to Tortilla Flat and one time even had a tee shirt. That was years ago. We went then to see the Superstitions. Thanks, I'll look it up on my topo program. Some place I missed, and that shouldn't happen....

Don....

Oh yeh and any photos of would be great...
SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by SteveS »

[quote="Mike C."]It's located within Tonto National Forest on the north side of the Superstition Wilderness. Take 88 to the east from Apache Junction {Apache Trail}. quote]

Thanks for the reminder of the Apache trail.

I haven’t been over this route in a very long time, not sure when but it was in the 80’s. I’m not into boats or lakes, I have enough bad habits, :) but I recall seeing the lakes.

Something makes me think the Apache trail got paved? Not sure where I head that, and it may still be dirt all the way.

Remember those huge old VHS movie recorders people used to have. Well I had one and on that route I got a movie of two rattle snakes all twisted together, I wonder if I still have that tape?
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

The last time I was on the Apache Trail was the week after Easter in 2008. The road is paved for a short while but soon ends. I have heard many rumours that the entire Apache Trail was recently paved---not true! I will go there only on weekdays as the crowds are way too much for me on the weekends. I've seen some pretty crazy drivers towing their boats as if they have already broke into their beer! For crumb sakes--the beer is for after reaching your destination! When heading home, I usually continue east then head west near Globe to avoid the traffic coming from the Phoenix area. I'll take a break at Roosevelt Dam then stop at Tonto National Monument. Another good place to check out is Bryce Arboretum. VHS---oh yes--still have mine. My wife took lots of video while we were bouncing along in my Jeep Cherokee. Have fun, Mike C. Brea, Ca.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Mike or anyone else interested. We just got back from the Apache Trail did a small write-up on our trip there.

http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=486

Don....
SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by SteveS »

Thanks I’ll check it out, and comment over there. Thanks for the link.

I was reading thru old Desert Mags, you relize this is partly your fault. Ha Ha :) I saw a tid-bit I liked about the Apache Trail in ‘Desert place names’ in the Oct 1939 issue page 30.

Apache Trail, Arizona: ….Barnes says this name was invented by the Southern Pacific …… for publicity purposes. For more than half a century it was generally known as “Tonto Trail”

From a friend I got a DVD of Desert Magazines, so now I have a digital archive and won’t need a Scanner for the older paper records now, but I may need a photo account if I ever plan to post any of it here. :oops: One thing at a time. 8-)