PEDAL CYCLE . LAS VEGAS TO FURNACE CREEK DEATH VALLEY.

SPINNER44UK
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: PEDAL CYCLE . LAS VEGAS TO FURNACE CREEK DEATH VAL

Post by SPINNER44UK »

:D Hi folk, The road i will be taking out of Las Vegas is the 160 to PAHRUMP, regarding the part up to MOUNTAIN SPRINGS , then down to PAHRUMP is it a short or long gradient, and can anyone tell me what % it is. I know this part off my ride is about 62 miles, thanks. :P
Josef keel, Newcastle, England.
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

I can't tell you anything about the grade, but I do know that it's a very dangerous road so use extra caution.

Greg (Plays In The Dirt)
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Space Cowboy »

Spinner,

I can't give you a %, but looking at my topography program, from I-15 its 22.2 miles to Mountain Spring. Its a gradual climb for the first 12.7 miles, climbing from 2276 to 3436. You climb to 5470 the last ten miles. It looks like from Mountain Spring you descend to Pahrump 32.4 miles to 2700 feet.
SPINNER44UK

Post by SPINNER44UK »

Thanks to all, Space cowboy, thanks for that, great help, :D
mlv

Post by mlv »

The road is windier on the Vegas side of the pass............once you get to the top (mt. Springs), there is a little bar off to the north side of the road (just off the road down a little hill)............then the road down into Pahrump is straighter, so you should get some good speed and coasting going down the western side of the pass.

The road is two lanes in the uphill direction from the Vegas side, and one lane coming down...............once you get on the Pahrump side the road is pretty much dual lane highway with a median between the oncoming directions.

You should encounter some bicyclists on the Vegas side up to about where the road winds up into the canyon going to the pass.

I would guess the grade is 6% tops, usually if a grade hits 6% then they place signs alerting truckers.

Traffic flows fast on that highway, so be alert at all times, there isn't too much shoulder in some places.
Jim L

Post by Jim L »

SPINNER44UK wrote:Hi, thanks again for your great advice, i have noted all your points, the climbs are concerned, i don,t mind them at all,after all, what goes up, often comes down.
This is a brilliant sight, very good reading for help and tips.
Josef keel, Newcastle, England. :)
Josef,

There is not a way around the climb out of Vegas, it is long and just keeps getting steeper as you go up the mountain, as well you are starting from elevation, about 2,500 feet above sea level, so if you are coming from sea level you will notice it by the time you top out at about 5,500 feet. A lot of biker's use this road, but it is heavily traveled and as a LV resident that bikes the driver's are not that concerned about sharing the road. All that said, your trip sounds great and hope you have a great time, just heed all of the good advice above and be safe.