Hello and an introduction

Stefanie
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Hello and an introduction

Post by Stefanie »

Hello!

I've lurked around for a few minutes in the forum after having found the desert plant and wildlife information pages. I'm so glad to know this resource exists!

My husband and I plan to move to New Mexico in a couple of years and are actively seeking any/all information that would help us in our endeavor. We have a goal of living off-grid (as close to 100% self-sustaining as possible) and will be just outside of the town of Belen.

Last summer, we visited the land I inherited from my grandmother and fell in love with the area.

I have a question, though - there were numerous little holes in the ground; I'm assuming they're burrows of some sort. They're about the diameter of my forefinger - but I did NOT stick my finger in the hole to see if it was occupied. Any idea what might live there???

Thanks - I'm sure to be a pest! :)
Plays In The Dirt

Re: Hello and an introduction

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Welcome to the forums and congratulations on your intention of living off the grid. I don't have an answer to your question on the little holes but I'm sure someone will come along with an answer. You may want to post a Photo of the holes which may help in indentification.

Again welcome...
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

Hi Stefanie, welcome to DUSA. I lived outside of Santa Fe for about 9 years. I'm in Utah now but, I love New Mexico, there's no place like it.
I don't know what made the holes either.
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Space Cowboy »

Pix might help.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Welcome aboard Stef. Seems like I remember a book about creatures and holes in the desert. Can somebody help her about the name of the book?

TradClimber
javaone

Post by javaone »

Hello and Welcome,

You might try this.
http://www.desertusa.com/web_cart/db/pages/8016.html

Jerry
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

Welcome to DesertUSA Stephanie!

Do the holes look like this one I have attached to this message? It is a photo of a scorpion burrow, and you are wise NOT to poke your fingers into them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Welcome to New Mexico! I live just across the border, in Arizona.
The holes are from escaping bubbles of radon gas.

Just kidding....
Most wildlife in the desert lives underground. You'll just have to investigate and tell us what it turns out to be, and/or send in a picture. (I suspect an arthropod of some sort.)
Stefanie

Post by Stefanie »

Thanks for all the welcomes!

Uhhh - yeah, I'm thinkin' those were scorpion holes. YIKES! I lived in Louisiana for a while and had scorpions there - one in my HOUSE, even...

OK, so how exactly does one eradicate scorpions????? Or should I just learn to live with them? :D

I gave my hubby the link to this forum - he may stop by later. We're both eagerly anticipating our move out west...
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Welcome Stephanie,

Not to add to the problem - in fact, just to make light of the issue, back a couple of years ago, in Arizona, this lady thought she saw a tarantula in her house. She was totally panicked. She told her husband that she was NOT going to sleep in that house until they got rid of that spider.

Well, the exterminator came, and he looked everywhere - couldn't find a tarantula nest, couldn't find a tarantula - nothing.

When he told the lady, she said - ARE YOU ABSOLUTELY SURE? The exterminator said, yes maam - there are no tarantulas in this home that I can find. What did you want me to do with the 14 scorpions in your closet????

They usually don't like people, if they can help it. Kissing bugs - that's another story. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seriously, you will love it out here!!! And, by the way, chickens LOVE eating scorpions.

Beth (Mrs. O)