Hello and an introduction

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Hello and an introduction

Post by reptilist »

Scorpions... Learn to live with them.
Get yourself some 10 inch forceps to catch them, and then put them outside when you find them in the house.
(I used to laugh at people who did that, back when I was in my redneck youth, but now I understand that everything wants to stay alive.)
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Welcome! Living off the grid is much easier if you have a dependable water source. A simple solar/ wind system with a battery bank can be rigged up rather inexpensivly if you do it 12v. Use a back up generator for your power tools. Larger solar systems with inverters and battery banks are a little more pricy. The newer propane refridgerators are much more fuel effecient these days. Be sure to stock up on firewood in the summer as it gives it a chance to season. There's nothing like the smell of a juniper/ pinyon fire in the wood stove. Have fun and dont be a stranger here.
coazon de oro

Post by coazon de oro »

Hello Everyone, Yes chickens do love scorpions, that's why in some mexican movies, you will sometimes see a man sleeping with a rooster perched on his bed. This was practiced in the ranchos of the Durango area where they also have deadly scorpions. Especially if a scorpion had been spotted and gotten away. They would bring in the rooster and sleep with the light on, so the rooster could see and eat the scorpion if it came out. Homar
young31

Post by young31 »

oroblanco wrote:Welcome to DesertUSA Stephanie!

Do the holes look like this one I have attached to this message? It is a photo of a scorpion burrow, and you are wise NOT to poke your fingers into them.
Welcome to me ! LOL, am also just a newbie here. And that image that you had been posted is a little scary! Hehehehe we have a lot of that in ouR province too.. :)