Old Building Picture

DesertBob
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Old Building Picture

Post by DesertBob »

After spending many days crisscrossing the Mojave Desert I finally stumbled upon this neat website. I remember seeing the remais of a place called Shorty's Place out in Kelso Valley. It was in the mid 1960's and it was deteriorating. I had no camera. Have been trying to find any photographs of the place. Do any of you have a picture of it or know where I can find on on the internet? Or do any of you have a pic you could put on this website.
Thank You
Jim Hatt

Re: Old Building Picture

Post by Jim Hatt »

Hello DesertBob and welcome to the DUSA Forums!

I am afraid you will have to provide a more detailed description of what you saw, and the area you saw it in, before anyone can help you. The Mojave Desert is a pretty big place. Where did you park, (if applicable) How far did you hike (or drive) and in which direction? How big was the building and what did it look like?

With that info someone might be able to find it using Google Earth, (If it still exists).

Jim
DesertBob

Post by DesertBob »

For those not familiar with the area it is located on the Kelso Valley road which turns off from Highway 178 near the little town of Onyx. The building was located about 18 miles from 178 at an intersection that one road takes off to the Paute Mountains and the main road continues on to Jawboan Canyon. I have a picture on Google Earth of the last standing wall of Shorty's place at that location. I took that picture in about 1980.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

Welcome to the DUSA forums, Bob!
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

DesertBob,

If the guy was a miner and his name was Shorty Harris this site should get you headed in the right direction. If it's not him let me know and I'll find out something about him for you.

http://www.noehill.com/inyo/local_shorty_harris.asp

Also...If you could provide any more details about this guy that would be helpful.
DesertBob

Post by DesertBob »

I am not sure but I don't think that was the same Shorty. I have seen that name in some articles. It was a store that sold Beer and sodas and supplies Probably till late 1950's. It was all alone in the middle of nothing. It was right next to the old town of Sageland that was only a few years in duration back in the Gold Days around 1875 or so. There is a monument plack honoring the town that I took a pic of around the early 80's that was stolen. A private group made up a new sign and placed it at the same location a few years ago. If you look at the spot on Google Earth I have posted a pic of the original sign.
Plays In The Dirt

I think that I'm getting closer. Was/is this a two-story building and could it have been a gas station at one time?
DesertBob

Post by DesertBob »

I had heard it was two story. The only time I saw it was summer of 1965 in terrible ruins and I could still part of the name Shorty on the front of the building. Would have been a neat pic then. I had no camera.
Plays In The Dirt

DesertBob wrote:I had heard it was two story. The only time I saw it was summer of 1965 in terrible ruins and I could still part of the name Shorty on the front of the building. Would have been a neat pic then. I had no camera.
Well, I ran-in to a dead end (sort of). I made contact with someone in the area who would know if information was available but all they had was what I've already given you. It's not the end of the world, however, as I have another way I can possibly go. Let you know...
coazon de oro

Post by coazon de oro »

Greetings Everyone, I'm not trying to confuse anyone but there is a Shorty in the Tortilla Flat region of the moon. Apollo 17 site traverses chart. Lat: 20.2 degrees N. Long: 30.6 degrees E. Could be a tribute to the place in Arizona? Homar