OT - Historical Preservation?

Plays In The Dirt

OT - Historical Preservation?

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

I went to bed thinking about this and I woke-up a few hours later thinking about it. I know it's OT but I just thought that I'd ask here as some of you may have an interest or thoughts on it that you would be willing to share.

Progress and modernization can be a wonderful thing but not always. These days, in a lot of cases our zeal to "move-on" are serving to destroy our History and Culture. Historic Landmarks - Buildings From The Past - Old Towns And Ranches - Old Machinery, and even Cultural Sites have fallen to progress. Of course this is not all intentional, some of it is due to Weathering - Age, and my personal Pet Peeve - Vandalism. It's my personal belief that it's Tragic to witness as these Landmarks In Time have brought us to where we're at today, and if allowed to be destroyed and not preserved, the only record of our past will be in History books.

So my question is this: Aside from Historical Preservation Groups, what interest, (if any), does the general populace have for Preserving our History And Culture, or are we destined to destroy it in the name of progress?

I'd be interested in your views....

Note...It should be of no surprise to long-time readers that I have a great interest in our History, and in particular, Preserving and Protecting our Petroglyph (Rock Art) sites. I will do whatever I can to see to it that they are not destroyed.
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: OT - Historical Preservation?

Post by reptilist »

It should come as no surprise to many readers here that I think anything over 100 years old should be ground up and used in concrete to make minarets.

JUST KIDDING!
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

It is time for WestWorld. When I win the lottery I will build an authentic-looking town that looks just like old Tombstone or Leadville, and the folks who live in it will have to use only technology that is pre-1880. They will live by the laws of that period and dress accordingly. Yea right. Virtually everything they did, built, ate or drank back then is illegal now.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Just my opinion of course, but I unfortunatley have a rather pessimistic view of our future world - at least specifically the future of our country.

Every great world power has eventually "fallen" by the wayside. I'm certainly not a student of ancient civilizations and their downfalls, but I don't think it's that much of a stretch to view our country's seemingly exponential growth in national debt, the "political correctness" and lack of strength of will of our military leaders, our willingness to incorporate millions and millions of illegal immigrants who often have more of an interest in preserving their cultural heritage rather than becoming a part of America, along with numerous other things and see that if nothing else, we aren't going in a very good direction. Add to those things above, an education system that is lacking, a social system that rewards laziness, the general trend towards entitlement and again I don't see a bright future.

While I would love to see our country's history and culture preserved, I sense that the road we are on is destined to be one where the value of those things in the majority of person's eyes will get less and less. As we continue as a nation and society just trying to keep our economy going, I tend to believe there will be very little "untouchable" history and culture left to preserve.

Sorry to be such a downer, but outside of a dwindling number of groups and individuals, I just don't think the majority of people care anymore.
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Thank you for your posts Apache Devil and cubanfan64, I was beginning to think that after a week after I posted this that no one really cared. cubanfan64 I think that you're spot-on in your assessment, sadly I don't think that anyone really does care anymore about our past and the evidence of that past that still remains.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Plays In The Dirt wrote:Thank you for your posts Apache Devil and cubanfan64, I was beginning to think that after a week after I posted this that no one really cared. cubanfan64 I think that you're spot-on in your assessment, sadly I don't think that anyone really does care anymore about our past and the evidence of that past that still remains.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
You're welcome and sorry I didn't see your post earlier or I would have responded sooner. I do think that people care, just an ever shrinking minority. Despite my pessimistic veiwpoint, if I had children, I guarantee I would still be trying my best to instill the values of caring about our past and preserving whatever we can - not out of any hope that things will change, but just because I personally feel it's the right thing to do.
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

This a good topic Plays. People do care about historical preservation, but we seem to be a minority. My friends care and respect nature and its preservation ( I don't hang with people that don't). I experienced the majority of my co-workers would rag me and laugh at my wife and I for going primitive camping, exploring, hiking etc. during our vacation days. They thought we were wasting our time doing something foolish. Vegas and Disneyworld etc. are their way of wisely using their time. I'm not putting anybody down, but there's two different attitudes with my example. Maybe I'm sliding a little off tour topic---About a decade ago I took home a small sandstone nodule found in Sandstone Canyon ABDSP. Once home I felt the shame come on, kept me up all night. In the morning I gassed up and drove 3 plus hours to return what I had taken. I certainly taught my self a lesson, and I should have known better in the first place. Just a simple example on how these treasures get "dissed". Mike C. Brea, Ca.