Lost City Of The Grand Canyon

Plays In The Dirt

Lost City Of The Grand Canyon

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

A friend of mine sent me this link:http://www.reptoids.com/Vault/gc_Arizon ... il1909.htm. It's an article from the Arizona Gazette in 1909. I don't know if this is factual and this city actually exists or not, perhaps some of you may know. Either way it's an interesting read.
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Lost City Of The Grand Canyon

Post by Space Cowboy »

PITD,

I just went through quite a few sites, and even went through the directory of the Desert Magazine from 1938 through 1962, and I can't find any other article about this April 5, 1909 Arizona Gazette Article. Then, I went looking for G.E. Kinkaid, the explorer who found the underground city, going up through 1962, and once again, found nothing in the Desert Magazine. There was a second article three weeks later, but nothing new. According to one site, the Smithonian has never had a S.A. Jordan nor G.E. Kinkaid (also spelled Kincaid in the same article) working for them. If the article is a hoax, its done with a very straight face. While the article mentions an earlier article, I can't find it. That doesn't mean it's not out there, but I haven't found it. So while its cool, I don't think it has legs.
cubfan64
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by cubfan64 »

I heard about this a number of years ago and have read a fewwebsite articles about the "discovery." If you just do a google search on Grand Canyon Underground City, you'll find a bunch of stories - most covering the same thing, but sometimes with a little extra speculation and insights.

Any real evidence to support the story being true appears to be lacking, but there's always that little voice in your head that says "what if?..."

I'd guess everyone here has at least a little adventurer, explorer, treasure hunter, discoverer in their genetic makeup, so a story like this always gets our minds going doesn't it???!!! I have no idea if it's true or not, but I certainly like to believe in the possibility!! It becomes even more of a curiosity when you start thinking about it from the "conspiracy/cover-up" perspective and find out that those areas of the Grand Canyon are strictly off limits to hikers for "safety" reasons.
Plays In The Dirt

cubfan64 wrote:from the "conspiracy/cover-up" perspective and find out that those areas of the Grand Canyon are strictly off limits to hikers for "safety" reasons.
Don't you just love it that the government is always right there to protect us, for safety reasons of course. :roll:
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Space Cowboy »

Here's a site and article that's kind of cool:

http://www.xpeditionsmagazine.com/magaz ... yon-2.html

Even this is ten years old, though.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Plays In The Dirt wrote:
cubfan64 wrote:from the "conspiracy/cover-up" perspective and find out that those areas of the Grand Canyon are strictly off limits to hikers for "safety" reasons.
Don't you just love it that the government is always right there to protect us, for safety reasons of course. :roll:
ABSOLUTELY!! I really don't know what I'd do without my "big brother" looking out for my welfare!!!! :roll:
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

8-)

Arizona past newspaper articles sure had some unique stories
The validity of which is open to speculation!
I recall this story resurfacing during the Travis Walton episode.
I don’t think the 2 were linked
just water cooler type of conversation at the time

enjoyed the Desert Magazine analysis and the FOX link !

Ed
Chris

Post by Chris »

For some reason after reading this thread I am hooked. This story has to have some fact to it. I read the article attached in a post above and there was a lot of info that seems way to detailed for a fake. I am on my computer all day so I am going to look into this more. If I find anything useful I will post it.
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Chris wrote:For some reason after reading this thread I am hooked. This story has to have some fact to it. I read the article attached in a post above and there was a lot of info that seems way to detailed for a fake. I am on my computer all day so I am going to look into this more. If I find anything useful I will post it.
It's very easy to get "hooked" on stories like these isn't it!!!! I've come back to it more than a few times over the years and try to track down more information but inevitably get discouraged at running into brick walls and give up for awhile again.

Good luck - perhaps you'll find a way to get through or around one of those brick walls and find some information worth sharing. If nothing else, I'll say it sure is a story one WANTS to be true!!!
Plays In The Dirt

If anyone's going to the Grand Canyon in the future you may want to ask one (or several) of the Rangers about this. I'm not sure that they'd be honest about it even if they did know but one may slip-up and say something of importance. :D