ICE CHESTS

Mike C.

ICE CHESTS

Post by Mike C. »

All you desert travelers (mainly primitive camping folks)---I'm looking for an efficient ice chest (longevity of ice) for future trips. I don't mind having two of them as keeping food cool, but it is important to keep beverages ice cold as well. I understand keeping beverages and food may require two separate chests (as the beverage chest will be opened up more frequently). Just wondering what works best for all of you. I don't mind making a trip for more ice---but every 24 hours is insane. Thank you for your responses. Many are available with thicker insulation, but lack insulation in the lid---go figure. Thanks Mike C. Brea, Ca.
TradClimber
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: ICE CHESTS

Post by TradClimber »

For beverages only - did you see this post?
http://www.desertusa.com/mb3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1823

TradClimber
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I just use one big white 4 footer.
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Space Cowboy »

Mike,

Something that I found that really works, wrap the cooler in a wool blanket, figure out the logistics so you can throw it off and on. I've doubled the life of ice with an old wool blanket that's so thin its unfit for much else.
yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

Igloo has made an ice chest with a thick lid, the Ultra Cold 50. I got one at Sam's Club several years ago.
Just some other tips are to use block ice, and fill in the gaps with cubes.
Insulate it, like SC suggests, during the day. You can use your sleeping bags if nothing else.
Keep it in the shade, seems obvious but if you it in leave camp for the day the sun will find it sooner or later.
On canoe trips where water is plentiful we bring old towels, soak them and drape them over the chest. If you camp near a lake or river this is a great way to keep it cool. I wouldn't use limited drinking water.
River runners that bring more than one chest, as you do, condense everything to one ASAP. A packed chest will stay colder than two half melted ones.
I've had leftover ice after 5 days of 100+ weather on a canoe trip and the one Igloo chest.
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

Space is extremely limited in the dune buggy, so I can only take a single 32 quart cooler. It's a regular plastic type, as the ones with thick insulation take up too much room. I can't waste valuable space with block ice, so I freeze a couple of one gallon water bottles solid and stick those in there. The food and beer go in next, then ice cubes fill in the rest of the space. We always bring heavy jackets to the desert, even in summer, so the jackets go on the lid of the cooler when we're not wearing them. We drink water out of a separate two gallon container filled with ice cubes and cold water the first day or so, then we start to drink the water from the frozen jugs. After three days of 90+ degree temps, the water bottles are usually still about half ice, and the cooler is plenty cold inside. Yes, the key is to always park so that the cooler is in the shade!

Lee
Mike C.

Post by Mike C. »

Thank you all for your replies. :D Mike C.
javaone

Post by javaone »

Question(s)? To anyone,

For an overnight hiking trip:
How much does your backpack weigh :?:
Tips for packing :?:

Thanks in Advance
Jerry :oops:
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Java posted:
How much does your backpack weigh
It always weight the same - Large Gregory Denali Pro - Eight pounds. :P

TC
yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

javaone wrote:Question(s)? To anyone,

How much does your backpack weigh :?:
Tips for packing :?:

Thanks in Advance
Jerry :oops:
I'm a lightweight compared to TC. I use an Osprey Atmos 65 for 1-3 nights out. Neither the pack nor I have the guts to carry more than about 30 lbs. and for just one night out in moderate weather I'd probably be around 25. That doesn't include water though. I'm in the habit of waiting until after rainstorms or melting snow before I head out so I'm sure there's gonna be water out there.
What kind of tips are you looking for?