Confessions Of A Looter...

Plays In The Dirt

Confessions Of A Looter...

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

I shot this last month in Arizona at the "White Tanks" recreational area. The place where it was posted had a lot of Petroglyph's that they really try and protect, (which is a good thing). So many of our cultural sites have been looted and destroyed by people looking to make a profit, or by uncaring people. I don't know if this individual was truly sorry or was just sorry that he got caught, but it goes to show that Law Enforcement is out there working these cases.

Plays - (Greg)

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Confessions Of A Looter...

Post by reptilist »

I think I remember hearing about that case.
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

At the Chaco Canyon Visitor Center they've got a letter from someone that picked up a few artifacts, pot sherds or a point or something, to take home back east somewhere. The letter says that after they left Chaco things started happening to them, flat tires, engine problems, other small things that pretty much ruined the rest of their vacation and continued after they got home. They decided it was because they removed the artifacts from Chaco. They returned everything along with the letter. A guilty conscience can be pretty powerful.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I recall reading an article in an Arizona newspaper many years ago about a couple of fellows that had stolen some of the Hopi Gods...They were essentially carved sticks to us, but were actually extremely holy personages to the Hopi.

This looks like the story... Except the version I read included more interviews from the thieves, noting in particular the ways they believe they were cursed by their deed.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource. ... ug=1695359
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

The urge to take things home kinda skips past me. If I find something cool I would much rather just take pictures of it, up close and from every angle. That is as good as having it. These things are no longer interesting once they are sitting on a shelf gathering dust anyway. In the last fifteen years or so the only thing I am guilty of removing from the desert is two coyote skulls and a horse shoe. I probably should have left the horseshoe. It was in Reptilist country south of Lordsburg.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

Yea I believe and i have seen. Dont mess with the spirits!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

If you have the desire to possess something both personal and spiritual, why not go to a pow wow and buy a piece of artwork from one of the tribal artisans? By doing so, you are not only able to own a one of a kind piece, but also help support the local tribal economy. Neither the Hopi or the Dene' have gambling revenue and the reason for that dates back to what happened at Chaco. It's a win/win situation!
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I didn't think I'd be welcomed at a pow wow...?
I thought they were mostly/strictly tribal occasions.
Last edited by reptilist on Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

EVERYONE is welcome at a pow wow! Really, you should go. Enjoy an indian taco and watch the dancing competetion.

Now, there are other tribal religious ceremonies that are closed to non members but you will never be aware of them unless you personally invited. Pow wows are for everybody.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I'll put that in my bucket list then.
:)