Cow Protection League

Jim Hatt

Re: Cow Protection League

Post by Jim Hatt »

coazon de oro wrote:Hell O Cowboy, We have that same problem here in Texas, I'm thinking of putting some money on a hat company. There are a lot of naked heads out there crying out for a hat. Don't worry to much about the cattle, they will soon learn like the horse how to read the crease of the hat. A crease like Somehiker's is well respected by our Texas longhorns. It's when they see the government crease, that they will charge. That's kind of like Jims, ( kind of ) it gets formed by poking into the mailbox all the time, looking for that government check. The cowgirls are my concern, cause the Texas two step has turned into the Texas toe step. Homar

I'm going to have to adjust mine Homar... The only thing coming in my mailbox is bills! :(
Mrs.Oroblanco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just saw this one. Hilarious! We used to have a friend in Wyoming (a rancher), who would have a week-long "cattle drive" like the one on the movie "City Slickers".

THEY paid HIM to spend a week bringing the cattle about 17 miles from the hills to the home ranch in the fall. Of course,
all the good cattle were already moved, but, no lying, Mark would make about 20,000 bucks in that one week. More city slickers than cattle, and all old cattle who could have made the trip by themselves!!!!!!!!! I would do the cooking for the
BBQ at the "end of the trail". Everyone had their horses, and their spurs and their cowboy hats!!! (and a few with their red
neck scarves).

The other thing it brings to mind is one year, we went elk hunting in the Tetons. They have a very "touristy" bar there, which I wanted to get a picture of - Silver Dollar - the entire bar top is silver dollars under glass (about 30-40 feet).

We stayed for a little while, had a couple of drinks. Every guy there, except Roy and our friend, Bill, had on their cowboy
hats. Of course, it was funny to me, because, the only cowboy there, our friend Bill, wasn't wearing any hat!! :lol:
(and boy, is he a real cowboy - had to move cattle with him on short notice, so there was only 5 of us for the entire herd, and I watched that man, riding at full gallop, standing in the stirrups, snapping a whip, over dozens of downed trees and
herding up, by himself, about 20 head that had decided to go through the woods - cattle are dumb, sometimes).

No Rhinestone cowboy there.

In Arizona, we always seems to have cattle in our yard - we had horses, so we bought hay, and the neighbors cows knew right where the expensive hay was :roll: Of course, in our area of Arizona, you, legally, had to fence the cows OUT.
All free range. And the cowboy (the rancher), threw grain in a corral, and then loaded them all into a truck when he moved them. I don't think he even owned a horse. :lol:

Beth (Mrs.O)
desert wanderer
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by desert wanderer »

Mrs.Oroblanco wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just saw this one. Hilarious! We used to have a friend in Wyoming (a rancher), who would have a week-long "cattle drive" like the one on the movie "City Slickers".

THEY paid HIM to spend a week bringing the cattle about 17 miles from the hills to the home ranch in the fall. Of course,
all the good cattle were already moved, but, no lying, Mark would make about 20,000 bucks in that one week. More city slickers than cattle, and all old cattle who could have made the trip by themselves!!!!!!!!! I would do the cooking for the
BBQ at the "end of the trail". Everyone had their horses, and their spurs and their cowboy hats!!! (and a few with their red
neck scarves).

The other thing it brings to mind is one year, we went elk hunting in the Tetons. They have a very "touristy" bar there, which I wanted to get a picture of - Silver Dollar - the entire bar top is silver dollars under glass (about 30-40 feet).

We stayed for a little while, had a couple of drinks. Every guy there, except Roy and our friend, Bill, had on their cowboy
hats. Of course, it was funny to me, because, the only cowboy there, our friend Bill, wasn't wearing any hat!! :lol:
(and boy, is he a real cowboy - had to move cattle with him on short notice, so there was only 5 of us for the entire herd, and I watched that man, riding at full gallop, standing in the stirrups, snapping a whip, over dozens of downed trees and
herding up, by himself, about 20 head that had decided to go through the woods - cattle are dumb, sometimes).

No Rhinestone cowboy there.

In Arizona, we always seems to have cattle in our yard - we had horses, so we bought hay, and the neighbors cows knew right where the expensive hay was :roll: Of course, in our area of Arizona, you, legally, had to fence the cows OUT.
All free range. And the cowboy (the rancher), threw grain in a corral, and then loaded them all into a truck when he moved them. I don't think he even owned a horse. :lol:

Beth (Mrs.O)
Beth, Great story! That must have been an interesting, as well as an entertaining experience. I wish that I could have accompanied that cattle drive. Those that live away from town in the boonies around Seligman, where I live, must also fence the cattle out, otherwise the cattle have the "right of way". This is big cattle/cowboy country up here!
Rick
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

This is a great thread! It reminds me of part of a story written by Bob Hoover, VW mechanic, pilot, writer, and a bunch of other things.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Ever worked cattle? You gotta use horses, generally two a day. Terrible work; nothing at all like Hollywood's version of being a 'cowboy.' All of the horses were smarter than me as were most of the cattle but I was new to the game and figgered I'd wise up if I lived through it. Fortunately, I didn't have to; I spent most of my cowboying days servicing wind-mills and mending fence. Less than six months, thank God. (That's my Cowboy Story, by the way.)

I mention this because I once said I'd worked as a cowboy and someone immediately said they too enjoyed riding.

I've never 'enjoyed' riding in the sense they meant. Packing-in, having a horse means you don't have to walk but working cattle, most of our horses were old logger-heads with teeth like a crocodile and a disposition to match. If they couldn't buck you off they'd try to smear you into the fence. Survive that and they'd work for you. Until you missed one too many throws, then they were liable to lay down and roll on you.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know many, many cowboy kids - and NONE of them like horses!! When we first went to Wyoming, and met this cowboy, Bill, years ago, his oldest kid was talking to my son, and they got into the subject of horseback riding. Leo, the ranch kid, had this utter look of ...... horror. I still remember it like it was yesterday - he said to my son: You PAY to go riding? Why would ANYONE ride a horse if they didn't have to?????? (he was about 12 then - he's out of college now, and owns his own business - not cattle.)

Even riding all my life, I gotta tell you, its not that easy to move REAL cows (not the older ones), with calves, across 12 or so miles of all kinds of terrain. (our friends cattle leases had no roads in-between, and when the Forest Service says "move your cows", you have 24 hours, or you lose your leases).

First, you have to corral them up (find them). Then you have to mother them up, or they won't go anywhere (cows leave their calves in all sorts of places, but they won't leave the area without them) - THEN, you can start moving them. In our friends area, there is elk, and cows are afraid of elk, so they go in 40 different directions. Plus, you have to carry everything you might need - everything from tools to leather to fix a bridle - oh, and lunch. (that's why all the cows scattered into the woods, a bull elk scared the crap out of them and they ran).

Now, I have to admit - the ride back was wonderful - we poked along and took some pictures of the mountains from an area most folks don't see.

Now we are different kinds of cowboys. The guy Roy and I work for has 2 horses, but he used the pickup and quadrunners for all the moving, etc. I hate quads for that. A horse will jump over a ravine - a quad not only doesn't know its there, it will ALMOST go over it, pitching you forward, and then landing on top of you. Well, I've had more than my share of horses
on top of me, but they always want to get back up - quads....not so much. The rancher we work for almost got killed when the quad he was riding did just that. Of course, gotta have a huge quad to carry feed, etc., so, moving it back off him was not an easy task. Its lucky all he got was a few broken bones. It could have been worse.

But, there are still many many ranchers here who use horses every day, and the ranch rodeos are a blast. I have always been a sucker for an equine, and I would still take a horse over a quad - especially for working cattle, anyday. Some cows and bulls will attack a quad - not so much a horse.

I like moving cows with horses, not with quads. I also like using horses and mules for packing - that god for the equine when you gotta move an elk out of the Tetons.

Beth (Mrs.O)
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

This is my experience with cows which is very limited
I was involved in a project of building a straw bale house in Prescott Valley
The people who were building it lived in Phoenix
Went up on weekends to work the project.
A sister of this family (my girlfriend) lived in a travel trailer on the land.

We set the bales (over 1000) for the walls of the house
Strange occurrence started to happen!
Cows were eating the house!
Many early mornings we’d be out shooing cows away from the house!
Ha Ha!
Dog would alert us.
Out in p.j.’s waving towels or whatever.

Well money being what it was, a fence was a added expense,
that was not reckoned as a immediate necessity.
And adobing that house was a real chore!

But it’s a showcase home now!
Ed
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's funny - of course, for you guys, probably frustrating and annoying. Especially since Arizona has that darned "legal fence" law.... makes those "cattle out" fences expensive!!!

Beth (Mrs.O)
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

Understandably I wouldn't have be out in my underwear, waving
a towel, trying to shoo away this big boy

the house would have just had to turn compost :lol:
but the pic was taken around that time in the same location
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

A Longhorn cross? Love those horns.

We have 9 spotted (red and white) longhorns right next door. They are just beautiful. (but I still don't want to feed my house to them!!). Of course, maybe the house makes good marbling on the meat.................................. :lol:

Beth (Mrs.O)
roc2rol

Post by roc2rol »

:D