knowles quote needed

lara
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

knowles quote needed

Post by lara »

at the beginning of david darlington's book, the mojave, he quote edwin (i think it is edwin) knowles - something to the effect that people who don't fit in elsewhere, at drawn to the desert.

anyone have that book or know the quote? i have tried all the usual sources.
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: knowles quote needed

Post by yuccahead »

I've got that book and there are about a dozen quotes at the beginning but not by anyone named Edwin Knowles, nor does the index list him anywhere in the book. There is a quote by the naturalist Edwin Way Teale but it's not really similar to the one you wrote, in fact, none of them have a similar message.
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

Reading through the quotes again the closest to what you're looking for was Mary Austin's from the Land of Little Rain -
"If one is inclined to wonder at first how so many dwellers came to be in the loneliest land that ever came out of God's hands, what they do there and why stay, one does not wonder so much after having lived there. None other than this long brown land lays such a hold on the affections."
lara
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by lara »

it was all by itself on one of the very first pages of the book. i must really have this book mixed up with something else!

thanks for taking a look!

lara