signature in bat caves north of Indio

Isayhello2u
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

signature in bat caves north of Indio

Post by Isayhello2u »

my father now in his 80's remembers seeing a signature carved up on a wall. in the bat caves near the railroad north of Indio.
he saw it while hiking around in the 60s but cannot remember it well enough to give clear directions. I am looking for someone who has hiked this area and may know of this. if it still exists can give directions for the local history groups to get a photograph of it.

(I am not able to go look myself.)

this is all dad remembers right now so there are no clear directions. he describes it being somewhere at the far north end of the caves. he had a four wheel drive then to get there. and says it was not really so much a cave but more an indented area that around 1910 was mined for guano the signature was carved higher up on a wall and had a date and he thinks it was someone who helped build the railroad in the 1800's
Guz
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: signature in bat caves north of Indio

Post by Guz »

Well, you're in my area now. The only bat caves I know of are actually south of Indio in relation to the RR tracks you mention. I hike almost exclusively on the eastern side of the valley. The RR skirts the eastern/northern end of the valley so this spot could be anywhere and there are plenty of porous hills for them to roost. I've never heard of any guano mining/harvesting however and that intrigues me. I will look into that. My Dad is in his 80's as well and was just talking about the bat caves (ironic, isn't it) so I'll ask him about that as well. I would love to help you here so feel free to email me at bigguz2112@gmail.com

Guz