Megapixels -- how many is enough?

Desert Cruiser
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Megapixels -- how many is enough?

Post by Desert Cruiser »

All the camera manufactures are pushing high megapixel cameras. Do we really need that or better yet is it an advantage? Simple answer it depends -- of course! What do you want to do with the photos? Do you need to print 16" X 20" prints? Are you just going to save them for you and friends, and maybe make some small prints, or put them in a message board? So how much is enough?

For web use ------ 2 to 8 megapixels is plenty.
For large prints --- 6 to 24 will work.

What else is important? The size of the sensor in your camera -- small cameras (P&S - Point & Shoot) have small sensors and don't work well with a lot of megapixels. Some small cameras now have 14 megapixels, yet cameras with 8 megapixels with the same size sensors will you give you more detail and work better. Don't get sucked into the big megapixel race -- it's a gimmick to sell cameras not to make better photos.

So prove it --- OK here's a photo from an older 2 megapixel camera:

Now if you want to see the full sized image then click on this link ----
http://www.dustb-gone.com/temporary/firetruckl002.jpg If your using Windows XP then mouse over the image and click once to see it full size.

Now the fine detail in the leaves is not as good as a 6, 8, or 10 megapixels would be, but still a good photo for web use and good enough to print 8 X 10 sized prints. What do you think of it? Too many photosites and microlenses in a small sensor just can't read the fine details (their too small), and when you add too many miniaturized photosites then it stops adding quality to the photos.

Here's a scale drawing showing the main sensor sizes in use today. The smaller one (bottom left) is used by Canon for a 10 megapixel camera that produces soft images. Some of the larger sensors are also being overcrowded (APS-C) with too many megapixels. 15 megapixels in a APS-C senser works no better then a 8 megapixels in the same sized sensor. Here's the drawing:

So what does all this mean? Save your money and buy a camera with less megapixels and a good lens. Panasonic, Nikon, Canon, and Casio all have good lenses. Panasonic is now one of the best for small point and shoot cameras. If you have to have a DSLR with interchangeable lenses stick with the big 2, Canon or Nikon.

Any questions?

Don....
reptilist

Re: Megapixels -- how many is enough?

Post by reptilist »

Good info there Don! Thanks!
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Your Welcome Terry -- I hope more people get to look at it. Of Course you can't even get a 2 megapixel camera anymore, but it does show that larger is not always better.

Thanks Don....
Allen
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Allen »

I have a Nikon "CoolPix" It's about 7 years old but does a good enough job for what I use it for. I think it's 4 MP.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Keep it Allen! The older Coolpix cameras are great for photos and they're also great for macros. Better than most in fact. 4 is plenty, for prints up to 8 X 10 and web use. AND when you resize an image down to put it on the web it's better to do that with a smaller megapixel camera then a large one. Less information to throw away by the imaging program.

Thanks Don...
Pharo
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Pharo »

Good info to know I've also found that the optical zoom number (higher is better) to be a factor in quality over that of digital zoom which is almost worthless. Another factor is does the camera need special software in order for the computer to access it. I prefer a digital camera that I can access like a regular external drive. I hate loading extra software on my PC in order to access/retrieve the pictures.

Later,

PBiZ
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Pharo: Digital zoom on most (not all) digital cameras is worthless, however several (I think Sony is one) of them that reduces the number of pixels you use as you go higher in the digital zoom range so that the camera is not interpolating the information. Explanation: On most digital zooms the camera is just cropping the image to make it appear like a zoom. This means the camera software is making up the photo to enlarge it. It takes every third pixel then guesses what the next one would have been, not too good and you end up with a lousy photo. Now on the ones that reduce the number of pixels --- the camera doesn't have to guess so your getting a real image just a smaller one which works out pretty good. Most are worthless though.

Now for the software, don't use it. They almost all come with software (few don't), so instead use a card reader. It's faster and there is not chance you'll mess the firmware in the camera up. No matter what camera I'm using, I always download by using a card reader. If you get one say for a Compact Flash, SD card, memory stick, or smart media, the card reader will only cost you at most $19.95. And you don't have to use your batteries up in your camera downloading the photos. No software required for a card reader, Windows will recognize it and make it work like an external hard drive.

One other thing you want to watch out for, now they make some incredible zooms for P&S cameras. However some of them have a hard time focusing especially at the telephoto end. So if anyone is interested let me know and I'll post a link to an in depth review of the camera and lens. Some of the newer ones go to 24 X, just too much for the lens to work really well.

Hope this all helps

Don....
rede2rock

Post by rede2rock »

Morning guys:

This is sort of a basic question. I was really active in photo club in school with a perflex 35mm. But have done very little other than family picts. since. When I get to the supers I would like to take distance photos that can be enlarged to 8 1/2 x 11 or larger. What would you guys recommend. your image on sensors is not available on my connection, so I am not sure how big is big or small is small. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there someplace on the net that rates cameras by what they have for hardware and software? I am a babyboomer so there have been a lot of pixels over the old water dam if you know what I mean, since I was very photoactive.

Thom
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

rede2rock wrote:Morning guys:

This is sort of a basic question. I was really active in photo club in school with a perflex 35mm. But have done very little other than family picts. since. When I get to the supers I would like to take distance photos that can be enlarged to 8 1/2 x 11 or larger. What would you guys recommend. your image on sensors is not available on my connection, so I am not sure how big is big or small is small. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Is there someplace on the net that rates cameras by what they have for hardware and software? I am a babyboomer so there have been a lot of pixels over the old water dam if you know what I mean, since I was very photoactive.
Thom
Thom - I do "A Lot" of Outdoor Photography and have a lot of gear. One of the best - reliable and most honest online retailers I know of, and the place where I buy most of my Photography gear, is B & H Photo Video: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/. They are Very knowledgeable and would be able to answer any questions you have. As far as ratings on cameras and other Photography gear a very good web site is: http://www.dpreview.com/. Aside from ratings you can also get on the forums and ask questions. Something I would caution you about is trusting the advice you would get from any of the big box stores like Wal Mart - etc. That's not to say that "no one" is knowledgeable at these stores but it's highly unlikely.

Good Luck, and if you have anymore questions please post them and I'm sure someone will help you out.

Greg (Plays In The Dirt)
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

10 megapixel is about the right size.