NPS - SPECIAL CAUTION for all hikers during the summer months.

Jim_b
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

NPS - SPECIAL CAUTION for all hikers during the summer months.

Post by Jim_b »

Every year, scores of unprepared hikers, lured by initially easy downhill hiking, experience severe illness, injury, or death from hiking in the Grand Canyon and other locations in the desert.

Read the Hiking Tips page and check the Backcountry Updates and Closures page for current information on trail conditions and situations affecting the backcountry.

Be aware that efforts to assist you may be delayed during the summer months due to limited staff, the number of rescue calls, employee safety requirements, and limited helicopter flying capability during periods of extreme heat or inclement weather.

Do not rely on physical strength alone, hiking smart will take you much farther. Rangers respond to heat exhausted hikers every day during the summer — don't let yourself become one of them! Use the information below to hike smart.

10 Summer Hiking Essentials
Water - plain and some with electrolyte replacement.
Food - especially salty foods. Eat twice as much as normal.
First Aid Kit - bandaids, ace wrap, antiseptic, moleskin, etc.
Map - while many trails are well-marked, maps are helpful tools.
Pack - to carry the essentials.
Flashlight/Spare Batteries - allows you to hike out during the cool of the evening.
Spray Bottle - fill with water for your own personal air conditioning system.
Hat/Sunscreen - to keep the sun off you and protect your skin.
Whistle and/or Signal Mirror - for emergency use.
Waterproof Clothing - poncho or jacket; especially useful during monsoon season (mid-July to early September).

More...
http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/hike-smart.htm
rppp01a
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: NPS - SPECIAL CAUTION for all hikers during the summer months.

Post by rppp01a »

Great list. I'll toss in a few things, too.

I have a bandanna or 2. They are handy.
I also have been experimenting with having a freezer bag with ice in it. I put a tshirt in there (and/or bandanna) and bring it along. When I begin to feel that heat, I'll put them on. I wrap the bandanna around my neck. This instantly drops my body temperature and feels like a great pick me up.