Wolf Spider

Apache Devil

Wolf Spider

Post by Apache Devil »

Reptilist, do you know what kind of wolf spider this is? I spent a night in Columbus, New Mexico, back in 2004. You probably know of the place cuz it is not far from you, right on the Mexican border.
There was a big vacant lot adjacent to the motel and I put on my headlamp after dark and went outside to see what might be crawling about. These enormous wolf spiders were everywhere, their multiple eyes reflecting my headlamp like little flashlights. When I say huge, I am not kidding. They were about two thirds the size of the average adult tarantula.

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Wolf Spider

Post by reptilist »

I'll have to leave that question to Gordon.
Those big eyes show up when road cruising too!
gordon

Post by gordon »

Alas I do not know the wolfies well enough to put a name on that one but it is a beauty. There are definitely some monsters out there. That eye shine they have is incredible.
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

When I went back inside my room for the night, I literally tore the place apart to make sure none of those babies were inside with me. Illogical as it may be, I have a rather nasty case of arachnophobia.
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I say, go ahead and name this subspecies of wolf spider after yourself Captain Wayne!
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

I like that. Hogna Christensenses, commonly known as Captain Wayne's wolf spider.