Planning a drive to see desert wildflowers

thedude180
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Planning a drive to see desert wildflowers

Post by thedude180 »

My wife and I are planning to drive down to rhe desert (Nevada, Arizona and New Mexico) in March or April to view the wildflowers. We were wondering if someone could tell me what the outlook is. I have already read the Moderator's caution regarding Eastern Arizona and, while disappointing, his comment was greatly appreciated. However, can anyone tell me what we might expect in Nevada and/or New Mexico? Also, if this is a good year for flowers, what might be the best locations?
Thank you in advance for any advice.
Roger Hildebrand
Calgary Alberta Canada
mlv
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Planning a drive to see desert wildflowers

Post by mlv »

Great town Calgary is !!!

The desert kind of goes in waves, the lower elevations will be the first to bloom, and the higher elevation, the later the blooms........so if you go in March try the lower elevation areas like below 2400'.

I would check here regularly as people do wild flower reports now and then, from all over the desert southwest.

I am in the Las Vegas, NV area, and our trees are starting to bud with some already showing leaves.........so Death Valley (-28' to 600/1000') would be the early bloom location........as you go east from Nevada (LV area) across northern AZ and into NM, you climb from around 1600'/2400' around LV into the higher 4000' to even 6000' in parts of AZ & NM. Flagstaff AZ & Santa Fe NM are high elevations and you won't see flowers till late April.

If you plan a March trip, try Death Valley to LV, down the Colorado River (Laughlin) and on to Phoenix/Tucscon........probably won't be much in northern AZ & northern NM (not sure about southern NM.)