Desert Racing Accident

yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Desert Racing Accident

Post by yuccahead »

Desertroad wrote:
Of course, I'm just old and mean. And getting older and meaner.

Desertroad
I consider that a virtue.
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by reptilist »

I'm all for personal freedom and making good decisions...Or bad..... But as a fight promoter, I care enough about the people I attract to the event, that I take precautions to protect them from their own adrenaline... That's why we keep the fights in a cage.
MMM

Post by MMM »

This was a tragic event. Mix high speeds, a known jump on a rocky road and people inches from the road, and this is what happens. Maybe people can learn to keep a safe distance form stuff like this, but sadly I doubt that will happen. Why? Because crowding racres is not limited to a OHV race. Look at Tour-De-France. The bike riders have to dodge the folk lining just about every inch of the run. Or some auto races, people inches from the track. In my line of work we learn something called Risk Management. In a nutshell, you analyse the risks of something and the rewards and act accordingly. A many thousand truck traveling at even 50 MPH air born has a lot of risk, and the rewards of feeling the wind as he or she passes is not worth the risk. So common logic say stay back, but as we all know, common sence is something I find more and more less common. As far as closing the desert to OHV races, to me, that would be the same as stopping all car races, bicycle races, boat races and so forth, because in ever one of these people have died and will continue to do so. Who is responsible? Sadly the final responsibility lies in the hands of those who CHOSE to stand where they did. No one forced them there, and they and they alone made that fatefull choice.

Yes I support the idea of red-lining off areas close to the track, so people get a visual idea what is considered a safe distance.

Mike
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Well said, MMM.

TradClimber
Sal

Post by Sal »

My feeling is that if desert motorized riders don't even care about their own or their children's safety and well-being, how can we expect them to care about the desert wildlife, environment and the rights of others to silence and beautiful scenery?
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Sal - This was a sanctioned event in a designated area. I feel that people who enjoy this type of activity should have a place to have their fun. In this case caring for the wildlife or peoples rights wasn't/isn't the issue. Whether they practice and employ a caring attitude, and do or do not practice safety away from the race track - who knows.

Greg (Plays In The Dirt)
Sal

Post by Sal »

point taken PITD. However, I have noticed that the behaviors we see in the OPEN areas are pretty much common all through the desert. We have people making mud racing tracks on private roads in my neighborhood with little kids jumping their mini bikes on dirt berms their parents erected OVER THE ROAD.

I don't understand this metality, though I have stopped and talked to many off-roaders in the midst of their habitat-ruining fun.

Most riders I have met do not distinguish between OPEN areas and plain old "open desert" that is not open to cross-country riding.

to reiterate, if these people don't even care about their own safety, how can we expect them to respect the natural values held by the rest of us?
Desertroad

Post by Desertroad »

I've seen Sierra Club "Die Hards" (bagging peaks, I was later told) slip and fall on rocky trails everywhere from the Angeles National Forest to Icicle Ridge outside of Leavenworth. If these people don't have any consideration for those on the switchbacks below them, how can we expect them to approach public land use issues with fairness?

Desertroad
LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

This tragedy was easily avoidable. People have been crowding race courses for decades, and the amazing thing is it has taken this long to happen, at least in America. I would like to make it clear that the SPECTATORS were the reckless ones, NOT the racers. Racing is a very serious business. For many, it's an occupation. Race cars and trucks are considerably safer than any modern cars on the road, thanks to innovations such as full roll cages, fire supression systems, five point harnesses, and countless other items designed to keep the people inside safe. The danger was with the people standing within feet (or sometimes inches) of the speeding vehicles. Clearly, people need to maintain a safe distance from a race in progress, and I think that will happen following this horrible accident.

Sal,

There's plenty of silence and beautiful scenery in the Wilderness Areas to the north and to the south of the Johnson Valley OHV Area. The races held in Open Areas are very easy to avoid. Please don't confuse the issue with spectator safety at the races with the illegal off-roading issues you are having near your home.

For the record, I prefer the silence, serenity, and solitude of the desert. You will not find me among the crowds at the races, as I go out there to get AWAY from people. Nevertheless, I recognize the rights of the racers to go on about their business and of the people who go there to watch them. I only wish they would stay a few yards away from the course.

Lee
Dan

Post by Dan »

Well said, Lee. The spectators who were killed and injured bear the majority of the responsibility for this. As tragic as that sounds, with the loss of life and injury involved in such an accident, there really is no practical way to make anyone else responsible for one's own choices. Races held in the desert are often conducted on fairly long courses. As one experienced in laying out similar courses, I know it is impossible to barricade people away from the entirety of the race course, even if they had the time, manpower, and the money to do so. At some point, the course is open to anyone seeking to walk up and stand right in harm's way. If they are intent on doing so, it's not the responsibility of anyone else to restrict them. It IS public land, and the races are run under a permit system. Unfortunately, many people just don't have the intellect or the foresight to understand what horrible things can happen when people make such choices, before the fact. They often have to experience the reality of an accident such as this before understanding what can happen if you venture too close to speeding vehicles in competition. It's an awful fact of life that sometimes tragedies such as this occur before groups of people fully comprehend the danger.

The promoter specifies that spectators should remain 100 ft from the race course at all times. Should they be held responsible for other individuals choosing to ignore the rules? I don't think so, but they probably will be held at least partly responsible. In today's society, there is always a percentage of our population which insists on risk-free existence at someone else's expense. IT's the reason for laws and practices which are described as strict liability in tort. IT's the reason why people sue McDonald's when they spill hot coffee in their own lap.

There will be multi-millions of dollars in lawsuits over this, procedures and rules will change, and the sport will become significantly more restricted and expensive as a result. Of course, the applause of others who wish the sport harm for other reasons is always present and audible when something like this threatens the future existence of the activity, regardless of the tragic consequences. By its nature, racing is a contest involving keeping a vehicle constantly near the ragged edge of control in an effort to produce speed, regardless of whether it's on pavement or sandy dirt roads in the desert. Standing close enough to a race course, totally unprotected, to touch these vehicles as they go by is just plain dumb.