ATV Trails

EZRider

Re: ATV Trails

Post by EZRider »

"Your" neighborhood, Ken?

Isn't it true that you live in Orange County and visit a weekend shack in Wonder Valley to enjoy off-roading?

And that your activities have met resistance from residents of the area?

EZ
Ken@WonderValley
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Ken@WonderValley »

EZRider wrote:"Your" neighborhood, Ken?

Isn't it true that you live in Orange County and visit a weekend shack in Wonder Valley to enjoy off-roading?

And that your activities have met resistance from residents of the area?

EZ
No not true EZ. My Wonder Valley house is 3 bedrooms 2 bath with a two car garage plus carport and out buildings. Did I mention it has a well? Hardly a shack by any standards. The neighbors stick together in rural areas in case you have not noticed. It is not just me protecting the rural lifestyle in Wonder Valley its us. Neighbors that live on dirt roads don't like to be told what to do by some new Community ORV Watch neighbors. The greatest laugh the neighbors got was when the investigation revealed there are no problems with ORV abuse in Wonder Valley and that the California Highway Patrol stated the dirt roads may be used by unlicensed vehicles. This is how Wonder Valley has been for the last 40 years

EZRider

Post by EZRider »

Ken@WonderValley wrote: Neighbors stick together in rural areas in case you have not noticed. It is not just me protecting the rural lifestyle in Wonder Valley its us. Neighbors that live on dirt roads don't like to be told what to do by some new Community ORV Watch neighbors.
Do your neighbors in Orange County give you the same free reign you expect from your weekend neighbors in Wonder Valley?

If not, why do you tolerate them?

EZ
castle
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by castle »

EZRider wrote:
Ken@WonderValley wrote: Neighbors stick together in rural areas in case you have not noticed. It is not just me protecting the rural lifestyle in Wonder Valley its us. Neighbors that live on dirt roads don't like to be told what to do by some new Community ORV Watch neighbors.
Do your neighbors in Orange County give you the same free reign you expect from your weekend neighbors in Wonder Valley?

EZ
It's different neighbor hoods EZ. The fact that Ken has two homes, and it makes no matter how much time he spends in either, there are different ways of enjoying them. You need to quit trying to compair one to the other. Maybe the reason Ken or anyone else has a home or second home in Wonder Valley is the freedoms you find there.
Dan

Post by Dan »

If I lived in South Central LA, I don't think I'd expect to ride right out of my garage. Nor would I in Orange County. They are urban and suburban areas with many neighbors within spittin' distance, never mind within earshot. It's a different place in Wonder Valley, as Ken's picture and his video clips make abundantly clear. Wonder Valley is quite an open place, where OHV use has historically been the preferred method of travel between neighbors and friends for a number of decades now. Where the comparison is that EZRider keeps referring to is certainly not obvious in those images. It's clear that the COWs, EZRider's friends, are attempting to "change the paradigm" and "extend the dialogue" to end historical OHV use, despite the fact that it's entirely appropriate there. It's also clear they are doing this for reasons of which they don't want anyone to be aware. In order to make OHV use seem sinister and evil, they must make up horrible tales of woe, abuse, intimidation, noise, dust, harrassment, and retaliation. Now that the official investigation has turned up no evidence that these things are actually happening, I'd say these COWs are less likely to get cooperation for their agenda from law enforcement than before. I'd also say the chances for them to gain additional funding for increased law enforcement in the area are slim to none.

I'd say EZRider's friends in COW are to blame. They have destroyed the credibility of people making repeated complaints to law enforcement with horror stories attached about how evil OHV users are.

EZ, I think you should be angry at your friends in COW instead of OHV users here on DUSA. I hate to say "we told you so". Not really, I like saying it.

WE TOLD YOU SO.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Sorry Dan, you just wasted several days saying nothing at all.

The California State Vehicle Code applies in Wonder Valley , Orange County and South Central LA all the same..

San Bernardino County Sheriffs enforce the law in rural areas. When was the last time you saw a CHP patrolling a residential street? Their jurisdiction includes the State highway system and local law enforcement agencies patrol cities and unincorporated areas.

I've been looking at dual sport again. I found an old Yamaha 500 sitting at a friends house that could be resurrected however, in my travels I've been talking to the dual sport riders and the Suzuki 400 is getting high marks. Reliable, good in sand or on a trail, power enough on the street, not a speed deamon or a race bike for sure but it does the job well according to some. The drawback seems to be the fuel capacity in the stock tank and all of that bright yellow plastic crap. Dual sport resolves the issue and unlike the green/red sticker crowd, I've found the dual sport riders to be very courteous and responsible.

Ken Piel has pissed off more than a few people in Wonder Valley for sure. He did have a chance to address the Board of Supervisors on the issue but he was a no show at the meeting.

In our neighborhood, we all try to respect each other's privacy and show a little tolerance. It works well. The problems stem from both local garage riders and people that truck in bikes who ignore legal route designations, private property and common courtesy, cut fences and generally ignore all sense of decency. Just because someone owns an OHV , it DOES NOT give them the right to ignore laws intended for everyone. I did speak to a neighbor's visitor recently about flying past my place on the road I maintain and he has toned it way down every since. No he slows it down and waves when he goes by. I don't call the cops and don't have to. A simple conversation works most of the time.

It does not matter if a residential street is dirt or pavement, it's still a residential street and the law of the land applies if it is open to public access. San Bernardino County Sheriffs enforce the same vehicle code laws as the Mission Viejo Police or Huntington Beach Police Department.
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

EZRider wrote:

EZ

It seems EZ is simply trying to create another controversy here, yet again :roll:
Dan

Post by Dan »

I beg your pardon, Sandman (does that sound enough UNlike a threat, abuse, retaliation, harrassment, intimidation, and stalking for ya?), the California State Vehicle Code does not apply to private roads not maintained by the county. Since the county does not maintain Ken's roads, sounds like they are not covered by the VC. In addition, it sounds like Ken and his neighbors allow access on their private roads to other of those allegedly evil "green and red sticker" OHV riders of which you speak. It all sounds good to me. I may drop in and visit them someday soon. Sounds like it won't make the "problems" any worse than they are now, ROTFLMAO (giving Sal credit once again).

PS: also sounds as though there is a jurisdiction issue between CHP and Sheriff of San Bernardino County. Since the CHP is a State of California agency, I'd bet a buck or two that their jurisdiction wins. Wanna bet?

PS: Maybe my friends and I will "find" some new riding areas in Wonder Valley this year. Hopefully, someday, we'll be able to explore a bit up in Juniper Flats. If we get up that way, should be look you up? You promise you won't shoot at us or string up any fishing line at neck level if we ride by on the legal OHV trails?
EZRider

Post by EZRider »

Dan wrote:The California State Vehicle Code does not apply to private roads not maintained by the county. Since the county does not maintain Ken's roads, sounds like they are not covered by the VC.
You post a lot of false information in this forum, Dan.

It has been explained to you many times that a road located on a public easement is a PUBLIC road. It doesn't make any difference whether it is privately maintained, it is still a PUBLIC road.

EZ
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Instead of arguing back and forth, why not just call the CHP in Joshua Tree and ask them? See, wasn't that easy, EZ? Do it. :lol: