The Mojave road

Moderator: Jim_b

mojavemess
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

The Mojave road

Post by mojavemess »

I would really like to do the entire 138 miles of the Mojave road this fall over a 2-3 day period, but I'm not sure if I have the right vehicle or not. I have a 2011 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4x4 with off road package. I have Dennis Casebiers book "Mojave Road Guide" which says you need a 4x4 but it's not specific. I'm a fairly competent driver and have owend a couple of 4x4's in the 20 something years I've lived in the high desert. I realize there are many, many variables like weather etc. but generally speaking, should I be alright? Any advice would be greatly apprecaited.
D T
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: The Mojave road

Post by D T »

Ive never done it so... your truck sounds more than capable
,they recomend going buddy system,so go with some one who can tow you out or you can tow them out in a bad sitsuation ,I think its about you being prepared,more than your truck,I think you cross pavement a few times ,so you can always bail out if you need to,you have to be self sufficent,gas,water,tire plugs,compressor,you have to cross a creek,a dry lake thats not always dry,Im sure someone else will come up with some better advice
SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: The Mojave road

Post by SteveS »

I may be too late with a reply, but your truck will work fine as long as it has LT tires.

You didn't mention the time of year you plan to do it, but you do have the best guide book available. Of course you need to use your own judgement as road and weather conditions can change hourly.

Feel free to ask more Qs if you have them.