Google Earth Questions - Discussions & Photos

Moderator: Jim_b

Plays In The Dirt

Google Earth Questions - Discussions & Photos

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

I intend to use Google Earth for some future exploration trips. The one thing that I've noticed about GE is that if I zoom-in to certain areas everything gets fuzzy which is actually worthless to me in some instances. Do you have to be a paid subscriber in order to get clear views? Is there something else that can be done, or is there another service that is better? I've heard there is but I can't recall the name.

C'mon Google Earth - the technology is there...
Goldseeker

Re: Google Earth Questions

Post by Goldseeker »

I hope this topic gets many informed answers. I have played with it enough to know I dont really know how to do it properly, but the potential is there for sure. It could be a really valuable tool.
Gerald D. Sain
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Gerald D. Sain »

Plays in the dirt;

I have been on this site for about 10 days, but I've had GOOGLE EARTH for over two months. This site is unreal and these are some things I found out.
Degrees north and south, east, west to the sec.
Look for any place on earth if theres such a place and you spell it right.
It will tell you the height of a mountain or the debth of a canyon next to it.
It will tell you inches, feet, yards, miles and so-on, also in metrics.
It will tell you the distances between two points of interest.
I am still learning more every time I go there. I don't know much but i'll give an information I have.

Gerald
Plays In The Dirt

Gerald D. Sain wrote:Plays in the dirt;

I have been on this site for about 10 days, but I've had GOOGLE EARTH for over two months. This site is unreal and these are some things I found out.
Degrees north and south, east, west to the sec.
Look for any place on earth if theres such a place and you spell it right.
It will tell you the height of a mountain or the debth of a canyon next to it.
It will tell you inches, feet, yards, miles and so-on, also in metrics.
It will tell you the distances between two points of interest.
I am still learning more every time I go there. I don't know much but i'll give an information I have.

Gerald
Hi Gerald, and thanks for your reply.

Yes I'm familiar with the valuable information that GE does give and for that I'm thankful. However, I also would like a clearer and closer view of the terrain as well. Perhaps I'm asking too much, but like I said the technology is there. I guess I'll search for a web site forum for Google Earth users, I'm sure they will answer all of my questions. Why didn't I do that before posting here? :idea:
Plays In The Dirt

To those that are interested I found a web forum dedicated to the users of Google Earth and it looks like an excellent place to learn how to use this valuable tool. I'm going to join as soon as I get back from the market. To learn how to "really use it" to all it's potential will be valuable to all of those who explore the desert.

http://www.gearthhacks.com/forums/
Goldseeker

Post by Goldseeker »

Just who is behind google earth and how did they put all this together? While its no doubt very good for prospecting, exploring, etc, etc, there is sort of a "big brother" feel to it if you know what I mean. I mean, could there be another angle to it; keeping tabs on people?
Plays In The Dirt

Goldseeker wrote:Just who is behind google earth and how did they put all this together? While its no doubt very good for prospecting, exploring, etc, etc, there is sort of a "big brother" feel to it if you know what I mean. I mean, could there be another angle to it; keeping tabs on people?
http://www.gearthhacks.com/forums/
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

Greg,

I love Google Earth for looking a various well known places around the world, but I find it useless in the Superstitions. There are a lot of places (like the Superstitions ) where they have the graphics limited to low resolution photos. As long as you stay out of those areas it's fine tho.
Plays In The Dirt

Jim Hatt wrote:Greg,

I love Google Earth for looking a various well known places around the world, but I find it useless in the Superstitions. There are a lot of places (like the Superstitions ) where they have the graphics limited to low resolution photos. As long as you stay out of those areas it's fine tho.
Here's a quote from Google Earth as to the reason for this:
Not all cities are covered in high resolution (where you can see individual buildings and cars) detail. We have more imagery of the United States than other countries currently. And because the imagery comes from a variety of sources, and is mosaic-ed together, it is difficult for us to specify the date of a city or region (a single city may have imagery taken from different months). We are adding high resolution coverage continually, but we are not able to tell you when a specific area will be covered. The best way to find out if your area of interest is covered is to download the free version of Google Earth and check it out for yourself (Google Earth, Google Earth Plus, and Google Earth Pro share access to the same database).
Jim Hatt

Post by Jim Hatt »

I think they are giving just a few of many reasons for the low resolution photos. Did you ever try to look at Area 51 in Nevada?
Notice that EVERYTHING around the Superstitions is high resolution except the Superstition and the Three bar Wilderness Areas. (The Three Bar Wilderness Area is also known for many old gold mines)

If you follow Hwy 88 north out of Apache Junction, you will see that everything on the west side of the hwy is High resolution. But the east side of the Hwy is Low resolution, until you reach the far east side of the Superstitions, then back to high resolution again. ????????????????
:?