Google Earth Questions - Discussions & Photos

Moderator: Jim_b

oroblanco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Google Earth Questions - Discussions & Photos

Post by oroblanco »

Thank you Randy - I was not aware it could be done, will try it out! <2 thumbs up>
Roy
gollum

Post by gollum »

In case y'all didn't know about it, NASA has an AWESOME satellite mapping program that is also free to download and use:

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/java/

It's called NASA World Wind. You can overlay satellite pictures from about seven different satellites (different types of photography). You can also do the same thing to the Moon and Mars. THAT is sweeeeeeeet!

There is another Black&White Program that actually has the best resolution, but it is kind of clunky and slow to use, so I don't ever use it. I will have to dig to find the name.

Best-Mike
oroblanco

Post by oroblanco »

Muchas gracias amigo!
rede2rock

Post by rede2rock »

Jim:

I would like to comment about Photographs & Google images with regards to Gold/Treasure Hunting.

Photographs are lens generated pictures captured on Photosensitive Film which are transferred by Chemical processes to Photosensitive Paper.

Computer Images may start off as lens generated pictures but there the similarity ends. Next the computer by way of various softwares alter the images. The images are manipulated by the software, the power, graphics and resolution of each computer as well as the resolution and quality of the printer.

All Google views are computer images only! They resemble photographs but are not. To much manipulation has occurred to consider them photographs.

There are other problems with Google images. They are generated from 0 degrees ( straight overhead). What you see is distorted and made more vague by the software. Imagine trying to determine what a person looks like to evaluate for a date or mate strictly from overhead. Would you really consider that? Think about it, you would not get a good perspective of a persons physical attributes if these were your only criteria as some people are trying to do in Gold/Treasure hunting.

When it comes to Google images showing pronounced clear features it does not usually. When you try to get the level of clarity you need they depixelize. They should like typo maps only be used for general information, not specifics. Like that heart or double circle you see from overhead, it may seem clear. But when you get your “Boots on the Ground” and then “GET UP CLOSE & PERSONAL” you will probably find a combination of things which are not what you expected. Perhaps a change in stone colors coupled with the geometry of the top of the stone formation. Maybe a pool of water or ice, even trees or bushes all combine to create the illusion you thought you saw. Folks it is like buying a Car from a picture, it may look great but you could not see the 4 cylinder engine. Instead you imagined a powerful V-8. Just like that car YOU MUST GET OUT & KICK THOSE ROCKS to see what they hold.

Thom Allport
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

Thom - well said!
pattillman40

Re: Peralta/Fish Map

Post by pattillman40 »

look at this google earth map and the fish map has anyone ever checked out the 3 x's at the top seems like theyd be pretty easy to find but i guess its easier said then done

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
somehiker

Post by somehiker »

Pat:
Actually,until about 2002 you would have been able to drive a dump truck right to the spot,park,and load her up with as much as you could shovel on board.Since the road has been closed to anyone but SRP vehicles due to,I assume security and safety concerns,only authorized people can drive or hike the road down.Many folks have hiked the Fish Creek Canyon route to the Salt River,the lower bridge over Fish Creek and the sand/gravel bar in the river at that location.I would assume that quite a few have panned the area as well since the mid 1800's.

Regards:Somehiker
pattillman40

Post by pattillman40 »

thx for the info
kabster

Post by kabster »

Try a program called World Wind. it' Put out by NASA and the detail is excellent.