california saguaros

cercidium
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

california saguaros

Post by cercidium »

i'm wondering if someone can point me to specific research or info about native saguaros in california? i've visited a stand in the whipple mountains, but am most curious about the reported specimens in the palo verde mountains, south of blythe. these are often listed in guides (blm among others) but my searches in the library and on site visits to the p.v.'s have turned up nothing. further, the turner/bowers/burgess book "sonoran desert plants" lists two 'sightings' near this location.

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

scott b d
blackturtle.us
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: california saguaros

Post by blackturtle.us »

cercidium wrote:i'm wondering if someone can point me to specific research or info about native saguaros in california? i've visited a stand in the whipple mountains, but am most curious about the reported specimens in the palo verde mountains, south of blythe. these are often listed in guides (blm among others) but my searches in the library and on site visits to the p.v.'s have turned up nothing. further, the turner/bowers/burgess book "sonoran desert plants" lists two 'sightings' near this location.

any help is greatly appreciated. thanks!

scott b d
calflora.org shows saguaros as being sighted in southeastern San Bernardino County and eastern Imperial County. If you search for "saguaro" at the site an information page will come up and then a link to a map showing the location of reported sightings.

http://www.blackturtle.us
gordon c. snelling

Post by gordon c. snelling »

There are some large obviously old specimens in the Chuckwalla Mtns. they are near some local "cabins" for lack of a better word for them As large as they are I have hard time believing they were trucked into the site where I saw them considering the road condition but they almost certainly are transplants.
Jerry Feldner

Post by Jerry Feldner »

I have seen the ones in the Whipples and the Chuckwallas but I have not seen them anywhere else, especially in Imperial Co. A man who used to frequent this site before he passed on a couple of years ago and who was very active in the cactus community, Told me of a huge, dense stand in CA but he was keeping it a secret. You want Saguaros?? We have plenty here in AZ!!

BTW, I looked up the ones on Calflora. You had best hit the map shop because the only thing of value is the Map Quads.
cercidium

Post by cercidium »

thanks to one and all for the info. saguaro sightings in the chuckwallas is news to me, and intriguing at that. i've had a long fascination with the margins of plant habitats, and am just now starting to pursue it a little more deeply. certainly have some favorite saguaro habitats in az and mexico, with the goldwater range being one of my personal favorites. but nothing beats those curious specimens wandering far from home!

thanks again!