Old gas station along route 66 right before Sitgreaves Pass
Young burro in Oatman, AZ.
Burro in Oatman, AZ.
Full moon over route 66 in Arizona.
SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Route 66

Post by SteveS »

Cool photos of Outman, I haven’t been there in a very long time. I always enjoy the drive over Gold Road, especially driving west and seeing the same view that travelers got of their first look at California. IMHO it doesn’t look live the land of mike and honey

Recently it was agreed that the west end of route 66 will be the Santa Monica Pier, I guess that was important to some. Ha Ha :) Here is a link to a news story from England, fun read since it’s written for people who don’t know any of the story, I hope some around here enjoy it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 19937.html

I’m more of a fan of old wagon routes, but I try and travel the old two lanes like 66 over the fast pace super- slab when I can.
TradClimber
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by TradClimber »

I won't ever forget seeing the sun rise that morning when my father drove across the Colorado River in a 1949 flat head V8 Ford in 1955. My father and pregant mother had five of us kids and a dog and all of our belongings in that Ford. Dad had $40 left in his wallet. We were poor dirt folks from the swamps of Arkansas hoping for a new life in California. We knew nobody in California, but Dad found a job in Riverside the next day.

TradClimber
Mtloweman

Post by Mtloweman »

Very good post; thanks for sharing these photos.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Thanks for your kind words, Mtloweman.
Sometimes people forget their humble beginnings.

TradClimber
michael

Post by michael »

I drove Route 66 from San Jon to Tucumcari, NM. I was thrilled.
RoamIfYouWant

Post by RoamIfYouWant »

Hi, guys! I realize that this an older post, but I wanted to compliment MLV on the beautiful photographs of Route 66. I'm LeAnn I've never actually BEEN to the West Coast before and I managed to find these images while Googling "Arizona" and "California." I'm SO glad I managed to find these pics. If you're wondering why I did the search in the first place. . .well . . . as lame as it sounds, I'm actually scrap booking. Obviously, I won't be using THESE particular images, but I definitely WAS drawn to them.

Anyway, these are some great photos, mlv! Not very surprising that there weren't really that many vehicles on the road. Just out of curiosity . . .is there perhaps a REAL car garage within the "antique touristy" 2nd photo I see. Sometimes, beside the antique essence, they'll make some pretty good use of the space. I wonder if the angie's list auto repair reviews section have that place listed. LOL =)

Take it easy folks. Thanks for letting me ramble! =D
mlv

Post by mlv »

I don't think there is any car repair garage at this old filling station on route 66. It's been sort of turned into a roadside tourist place, with some antiques and a little store.........they have put in some pit toilets just to the right side out fo the photo.

I have driven by this place 3 or 4 times but have not stopped in yet, will have to do it on the these times I make the drive.

This road is narrow and gets very winding as it goes on from here and thru the mountains to Oatman......pretty much the same road and width that was originally laid out in the 1930's.

Thanks for taking a look!