Off Road camping spots in Anza Borrego

Moderator: Jim_b

GoEagles
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Off Road camping spots in Anza Borrego

Post by GoEagles »

Now that I have a vehicle that can get me off road, my wife & I would like to try off road camping in Anza-Borrego.

Would anyone be kind enough to share some nice spots to camp?

thanks,
GoEagles
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: Off Road camping spots in Anza Borrego

Post by Space Cowboy »

Where to start: I like the southern end of the park, S-2. Blair Valley is nice, you can cover a lot of ground out there. You can hike up Ghost Mountain and check out Yaquitepic (sp). Oriflamme Canyon has recently been acquired by the state. It was much better when it was private property (and we didn't know it) than now, but there's still two good places to camp. Hike along the creek, but then also go up on the south side. That used to be open to travel. Some are offended by the presence of Modern Man, but watch for the extensive rock work, I assume back when this was a CCC camp in the '30's. Research the history of the region before you go. Pinyon Mountain Valley is great and at least a little challenging, but I would not go past Fat Man's Misery unless you're with other 4x4s. Camping is cool there, but I miss the Lone Oak. Cruise along the old stage coach road, camp at the WWII military camp/60's homestead or cruise a little further and camp at Bow Willow, a real camp ground with fire rings and arrastas. Head south on Carrizo Creek and go through the Smoke Tree Forest, but be prepared for water. Ditto for water if you try to get to Graves Ranch and the site of the Carrizo Stage Coach Station. I understand some clubs have been turned back. I nearly got stuck in one bog. By chance I was able to back out. Then there's Motrero Wash Road just inside the eastern end of the park. You go there, and I'll let you find out what there is to find. Don't camp out in the open, though, find some rocks to back up against. Both times we tried to camp at the railroad tower, the wind tore tents up.

Enjoy.
CowboySlim

Post by CowboySlim »

My current favorite is north of Borrrego Springs in Coyote Canyon.

Just up and out of the creek bed after the Second Crossing look to the left for a wide spot and possible tent site.
That's not it, so look to the right on the right side of the road, going north, and walk out there, maybe up the road a bit.
You should find a great spot there. I put my tent a dozen or so yards from the road as there can be a lot of 4WD traffic on the weekends.

If you can ford the creek at the Third Crossing, great spots also on the other side.
But the third crossing has been pretty deep the last couple of years.
SteveS

Post by SteveS »

Like SC said “where to start”. SC & CS listed many good areas/places, but we may be able to help you better if you let us know what area you would like to explore.

IMHO the worse campsites are at one of the campgrounds, and they aren’t that bad, I’ve stayed at them many times and hope to camp at them again. :D
hjcdan

Post by hjcdan »

Baileys cabin is another good place to camp. Easy trail, shelter, great hiking and a few places to explore.
HSSC

Post by HSSC »

Palm Canyon with a backpack.
DesertWRX

Post by DesertWRX »

Drive way up into Fish Creek and find a spot off the road. Not sure what the road is like after the rains. Might be a good 4wd trip!