Slab City

Moderator: Jim_b

Sandman

Slab City

Post by Sandman »

It's the end of January and Slab City is the place to be if you are a nomad or just out for something a little different to do. For those who dont know its just a little south of Niland , Ca near the Salton Sea. You gotta experience it to believe it!
Plays In The Dirt

Re: Slab City

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Here's a little information on Slab City for those who are interested: http://www.slabcity.org/

Hey Sandman, are you finding things a little more pleasant around the forums these days?
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I believe a positive sharing of things to do in the desert will attract more of the common folks and and an improved climate here at DUSA. It's a great website thats full of information.

It seems like there are a lot of people on the move these days. Some are snowbirds, others are living like refugees of the economic times. When I was passing through the Lake Mead area I noticed a whole community out there on the BLM lands between Valley of Fire and Overton, Nv. There are "Slab Cities" popping up all over the place.
HSSC
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by HSSC »

Sandman wrote:I believe a positive sharing of things to do in the desert will attract more of the common folks and and an improved climate here at DUSA. It's a great website thats full of information.

It seems like there are a lot of people on the move these days. Some are snowbirds, others are living like refugees of the economic times. When I was passing through the Lake Mead area I noticed a whole community out there on the BLM lands between Valley of Fire and Overton, Nv. There are "Slab Cities" popping up all over the place.
You can thank finance, if you have pulse, back by the federal government, for the refugees.
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

Sandman wrote:
The people whom you saw Sandman are all Snowbirds and once the weather heats-up, and improves in their hometowns, they will be gone. This is a ritual that has been going-on in the location you describe for many-many years. There are also a whole bunch of them in the trailer parks in town and many businesses look forward to their arrival every year.

Their reason for being there has absolutely nothing to do with finance or the Federal Government. They're simply escaping the very cold temperatures of their hometowns and enjoying a warmer climate in the desert.
SteveS
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by SteveS »

I drove thru Slab city last Dec. I felt that there was less than normal number of rigs. I could be wrong since I’ve never done any counts; it just seemed like it to me. I know some snowbirds don’t like slab city and would stay at one on the other places, but now at least half the Salton Sea state park is closed, many of those may have to go to Slab city.

BTW if your going to Slab City stop in at Hallelujah Mtn for at least a 20 minute walk around. Last Dec Leonard was there and still doing well. It seems he’s been slowing down the last 10 years, but he’s still enthusiastic as ever. :D