New Mexico launches OHV abuse hotline

castle
The middle number please (4): 7

Re: New Mexico launches OHV abuse hotline

Post by castle »

reptilist wrote:I don't believe that applies in this case. Dirt bike riding scofflaws should be turned in just like any other criminals.
Whats next? We shouldn't turn in child molesters and rapists because the long arm of the law might eyeball my Playboy collection?
(No I don't have a Playboy collection...honest...Just an example.)
Sure it applies in this case. Unless you consider ohv scollaws on the same level as child molesters and rapists. I can see large amounts of abuse in this "Turn in an OHV" hotline just like I have seen with the 911 system. It will be unindated with those wh have an agenda and those who really shouldn't be allowed a cell phone. Just like al the hospitals that have been forced to close their ERs because of 911/EMS system abuse, I see the "Turn in an OHV" hotline dieing the same expensive death that provides no benifit.
Allen

Post by Allen »

castle wrote:
reptilist wrote:I don't believe that applies in this case. Dirt bike riding scofflaws should be turned in just like any other criminals.
Whats next? We shouldn't turn in child molesters and rapists because the long arm of the law might eyeball my Playboy collection?
(No I don't have a Playboy collection...honest...Just an example.)
Sure it applies in this case. Unless you consider ohv scollaws on the same level as child molesters and rapists. I can see large amounts of abuse in this "Turn in an OHV" hotline just like I have seen with the 911 system. It will be unindated with those wh have an agenda and those who really shouldn't be allowed a cell phone. Just like al the hospitals that have been forced to close their ERs because of 911/EMS system abuse, I see the "Turn in an OHV" hotline dieing the same expensive death that provides no benifit.
That's a good point, Castle. I'm sure it will see some abusive and over exaggerated reports, similar to what the COWS are well known for. Sometimes people have a tendency to get over zealous in a lot of ways, similar to how some Mods interpret things.
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

Evidently, state officials in New Mexico see a need for a statewide reporting system due to a high incidence of illegal OHV abuse. I find it amusing that the same old posters here keep denying the scope and magnitude of the ongoing problems associated with these scoflaws. The evidence remains long after the riders have gone

Having spent 2 decades in the healthcare profession, I have yet to see an ER closed due to "911/EMS system abuse". I have seen hospitals go on diversion due to a heavy census of actual patients though.

I have seen a number of areas closed to OHV use as a result of illegal and abusive OHV users. It's a nationwide problem that has land use managers scrambling for solutions. The simplest solution is for OHV users to know where they are riding and to recreate in a responsible way that follows the law that governs us all. There are extensive legal OHV recreational opportunities available for those who chose to seek them out.
Allen

Post by Allen »

Sandman wrote:Evidently, state officials in New Mexico see a need for a statewide reporting system due to a high incidence of illegal OHV abuse. I find it amusing that the same old posters here keep denying the scope and magnitude of the ongoing problems associated with these scoflaws. The evidence remains long after the riders have gone

Having spent 2 decades in the healthcare profession, I have yet to see an ER closed due to "911/EMS system abuse". I have seen hospitals go on diversion due to a heavy census of actual patients though.

I have seen a number of areas closed to OHV use as a result of illegal and abusive OHV users. It's a nationwide problem that has land use managers scrambling for solutions. The simplest solution is for OHV users to know where they are riding and to recreate in a responsible way that follows the law that governs us all. There are extensive legal OHV recreational opportunities available for those who chose to seek them out.
I don't believe that I have seen any comments from anyone, including myself, that have indicated any"denial", of the scope and magnitude of the problem, Sandman. To the contrary, I admit that it is a widespread problem but these special reporting schemes, won't have much affect on the problem. If I were a "scofflaw", (I am not one of them) in New Mexico or California, the authorities would have to catch me in the act to be able to legally write a citation or make an arrest. Just like with Red Light Cameras, without the photo or a L.E.O. to identify the driver, there is no way a citation can be issued. I'm not aware that there is any way to force a motor vehicle to sign a ticket. Get the driver and you have a case. In every state, there is already a method to report these illegal OHV riders and that is done by dialing 911.
Pharo

Post by Pharo »

Sandman wrote:Evidently, state officials in New Mexico see a need for a statewide reporting system due to a high incidence of illegal OHV abuse. I find it amusing that the same old posters here keep denying the scope and magnitude of the ongoing problems associated with these scoflaws.
Well I just think that an 800 number and promises of all reports kept “confidential” invites abuse. I mean don’t we all have the right to face our accusers? This just makes it all too easy for some people to hide behind an 800 number.

I seem to recall Kevin (in Arizona) got turned in from a caller from another state and that wasn’t even an 800 number. To make it even worse, Kevin wasn’t even riding illegally. The caller knew all too well there would be no consequences to his/her actions. So I don’t think it will be to long before every OHV hater in New Mexico will figure out they have nothing to lose by calling in bogus reports. And if they get a few legal OHVer’s harassed, so much the better.

Human nature being what it is, I predict a lot of abuse on this phone line.

Later,

PBiZ
Desertroad
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Desertroad »

Technology changing our relationship to one another?

Nah...

...next thing you know they'll be using vibration detectors to keep people out of Air Force installations that don't exist in, say, Nevada or some such place.

And yes, I know this comment is completely off the wall... ;)

Desertroad
castle

Post by castle »

Sandman wrote: Having spent 2 decades in the healthcare profession, I have yet to see an ER closed due to "911/EMS system abuse". I have seen hospitals go on diversion due to a heavy census of actual patients though.
How many ER's are there in LA county right now compared to 10 or 15 years ago? Most of those that closed were closed due to abuse of the system by people that had no emergency need to be in ER. In my 30 years as an EMT I've seen first hand abuse of the 911/EMS system. It really chaped my hide when they did it at 0300 too. If you've not seen it Sandman, you've not had your eyes open for 2 decades.
castle

Post by castle »

Desertroad wrote:Technology changing our relationship to one another?

Nah...

...next thing you know they'll be using vibration detectors to keep people out of Air Force installations that don't exist in, say, Nevada or some such place.

And yes, I know this comment is completely off the wall... ;)

Desertroad
Off the wall but true. Everyone knows that Trix is for kids and Area 51 dosen't exist. You silly rabbit.
Mrs.Oroblanco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Reptilist,

I will have to respectfully disagree - on whether or not it applies.

When everything becomes illegal, then, everyone will be a scofflaw.

Here is some news on the homefront:

http://www.citizen-times.com/article/20 ... 18038/1009

Beth (Mrs. O)
Allen

Post by Allen »

The hotline is set up for New Mexico and that's where YellowPine lives. Just install "Safe and Effective ATV Guards" everywhere and you won't need a hotline. :D