Message Board Features

Allen
The middle number please (4): 7

Message Board Features

Post by Allen »

Does anybody know why the Member list is no longer available or why Profiles are locked out? Why hasn't the Private Message feature been turned on?
reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Message Board Features

Post by reptilist »

No, I don't.
Desert Cruiser

Post by Desert Cruiser »

Well Allen I guess they feel the same way I do. E-mail someone and don't use this sites resources for private messages. This is a forum and should be open so others can gain knowledge here also.

Don't know why the profiles are locked out -- this is the internet and a profile can be faked also. So a persons profile may not be what it seems anyway.

As for the members list --- it could be that it may have become an easy way to mass e-mail spam to the members? Just a guess.

The forums seem to work fine just the way they are now.

Don...
Allen

Post by Allen »

Desert Cruiser wrote:Well Allen I guess they feel the same way I do. E-mail someone and don't use this sites resources for private messages. This is a forum and should be open so others can gain knowledge here also.

Don't know why the profiles are locked out -- this is the internet and a profile can be faked also. So a persons profile may not be what it seems anyway.

As for the members list --- it could be that it may have become an easy way to mass e-mail spam to the members? Just a guess.

The forums seem to work fine just the way they are now.

Don...
There are a lot of message board users that don't wish to be E-mailed about anything and don't allow their E-mail address to be viewed, because of Spammers and perhaps a desire for privacy, even though an address is required for registration. When some discussions get monotonous, as they frequently do, it's best to take them out of the public areas and let them continue as private exchanges. I think the PM's are a good way of doing that.
As for using the "site's resources", I am certain there would be no impact to the bandwidth or anything else for that matter.
Pharo

Post by Pharo »

There are a lot of message board users that don't wish to be E-mailed about anything and don't allow their E-mail address to be viewed, because of Spammers and perhaps a desire for privacy, even though an address is required for registration. When some discussions get monotonous, as they frequently do, it's best to take them out of the public areas and let them continue as private exchanges. I think the PM's are a good way of doing that.
As for using the "site's resources", I am certain there would be no impact to the bandwidth or anything else for that matter.
I agree and the PM feature would be nice. From what I remember in setting up my profile on this site, I could block a PM from any user by just placing them in my "Foe's List" so some of the long running feud’s here would not have a chance of degenerating into a private flame war behind the seen so to speak. It would also be a slick way to pass your e-mail address onto someone you want to here.

However there does seem to be very little volunteer help from the user community here. I mean only Rep has signed up to moderate the “Desert Plants and Animals” forum. None of the other forums have moderators. So maybe Jim is waiting for the rest of us to step up to the plate before he turns on all or even some of the features.

I’ll step up and volunteer to moderate the Colorado River Information and Reports forum. It’s the only forum I’ve never been a heated debate in so, that seems to be the only one I qualify for. IMHO.

Anyway it’s worth a try. Anyone else?

Later,

PBiZ
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I’ve never been a heated debate in so, that seems to be the only one I qualify for. IMHO.
No...Pharo....It's the bad dogs that guard the junkyard! haha