More petroglyph damage

yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

More petroglyph damage

Post by yuccahead »

From the NPS Morning Report-

Friday, March 26, 2010

INCIDENTS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lake Mead National Recreation Area (AZ,NV)
Native American Petroglyphs Vandalized

A 20-year-old Bullhead City man suspected of vandalizing petroglyphs in Grapevine Canyon was cited by rangers on Friday, March 19th. He and a 13-year-old boy were reported to have been shooting paintballs in the area. At least four petroglyph panels and numerous rock faces were defaced with paint. A caller to Bullhead City 911 reported that there were kids in the canyon shooting paintballs. Park rangers responded and contacted the man at the Grapevine Canyon trailhead parking lot. A preliminary investigation lead them to suspect that he was responsible for the red and green paint splatters in the canyon. The man was issued citations for defacing/disturbing an archeological resource, using and discharging a weapon, littering and vandalism. He was cited and released but will be required to appear before a federal magistrate. The National Park Service is coordinating the clean up with area tribes. For a series of photos showing the damage, click on the link below. [Submitted by Andrew S. Muñoz, Public Affairs Officer] More Information...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lakemeadnra
TradClimber
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: More petroglyph damage

Post by TradClimber »

DANG IDIOTS!!!

TC
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I've seen that paint ball vandalism in Cave Creek Canyon of the Chiricahuas too.....
I can barely stand to be where other people go anymore.
:x
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

I can barely stand to be where other people go anymore.
I hear you!!

One of the most powerful and long lasting memories I have of any television commercial I saw as a child was the "Keep America Beautiful" compaign in the early 1970's. I was still a pre-teen but can recall the image immediately whenever I hear stories like this.

I imagine there are MANY spirits of ancestors past who shed a tear when they look down at the needless damages we've caused and continue to cause.

If convicted, they should be sentenced to many hours of community service on a local native american reservation in addition to visiting native american schools to appologize for what they did and teach the children how important their heritage is to keep preserved. That would have a much greater impact than a fine imho.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

I remember that indian standing there as trash is thrown from a car and lands at his feet. Then the tear drops.
desert wanderer

Post by desert wanderer »

I simply cannot imagine, nor comprehend, why someone would desecrate and/or vandalize petroglyphs. I used to become irritated with many websites choosing to NOT disclose specific locations of petroglyph panels.
I am a lover of petroglyphs, and seek out as many locations as I possibly can. However I am starting to understand why lots of anthropologists and archaeologists keep the locations secret. It is truly ashame that they have to, as it is difficult for me to find new panel locations. Does anyone know where I can find information pertaining to locations of panels?
Plays In The Dirt

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

desert wanderer wrote: it is difficult for me to find new panel locations. Does anyone know where I can find information pertaining to locations of panels?
Here's a link to some of Nevada's sites: http://publicrockart.com/

I'm really sorry that even these locations are posted but many are not and that's a good thing. I've seen so much damage to Petroglyph Panels where idiots can't resist destroying them. Thankfully I know where there are many that are unknown, (or only known by a few).
desert wanderer

Post by desert wanderer »

Thanks for the link, PITD! I lost your email address, long time, no hear! Lots of changes in my life. Please email me at; rixcamp@gmail.com when you get the chance. Thanks again.
Desertroad

Post by Desertroad »

I still have my *signed* Iron Eyes Cody poster from when he visited my elementary school.

That has to be worth a few bucks, despite his being part Italian, or something, maybe :)

But I'm saving it for when my daughter gets old enough to understand what a bad habit littering is.

Desertroad
yuccahead

Post by yuccahead »

desert wanderer wrote:I simply cannot imagine, nor comprehend, why someone would desecrate and/or vandalize petroglyphs.
Me either.