Unusual Or Weird Things You Find In The Desert

Plays In The Dirt

Unusual Or Weird Things You Find In The Desert

Post by Plays In The Dirt »

So how many times have you been exploring the desert and have run-in to things that are unusual or just plain weird and out of place? How about posting Photos of them in this thread? Please include a little description of what you saw.

I'll start things off with something that I saw this morning while out shooting blooming cactus Photos. It caught the corner of my eye as I was riding along on my quad. It's a plastic tub that someone had placed in front of a bush, (there were recent tire tracks from a P/u that led right-up close to it as well as footsteps). Inside this plastic tub were folded T-shirts - a small plastic ball - a DVD movie (unwrapped) and chocolate Easter Eggs, all Basketball related items.

Now this location is way-out in the desert and nowhere near homes or paved roads. It's unknown who or why someone placed it there however my wife tells me that a young man was killed in a sandrail accident out there about a year ago. A tragedy in and of itself but the person who killed him driving another sandrail was his cousin who blames himself and has moved out of the valley. Perhaps this was a memorial to the young man...

Vulture
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Unusual Or Weird Things You Find In The Desert

Post by Vulture »

Geo-cache? Usually those are hidden and you have to find with GPS coordinates. Very interesting.
Plays In The Dirt

Vulture wrote:Geo-cache? Usually those are hidden and you have to find with GPS coordinates. Very interesting.
Well I found it and I didn't even have my GPS with me, do I get a prize? :D
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

You can take something from the basket if you leave something too...It's probably a geocache, but I prefer your explanation better.
yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by yuccahead »

Speaking of geocaches, this box used to be bolted to the sandstone in the Fiery Furnace, Arches NP. I think that rangers used it to stow emergency gear many years ago, but once it was discovered by geocachers it became something to locate. It was hidden offtrail in a small cave like area and finally removed by the NPS a couple of years ago.

Guz

Post by Guz »

Amazing how many people seem to hike in the desert with a black sharpie...
Plays In The Dirt

More Desert Oddities

While I was up on Mormon Mesa today shooting Photos of another subject I ran-in to something on the rim of the mesa that caught my attention. Someone had built a Memorial, (for lack of a better term for it). It looked like a make-shift seat to view the river valley below and an old headboard. On the headboard was some pretty elaborately done religious inscriptions which were barely readable due to weathering. I certainly don't understand what it's about, perhaps some of you have an idea. One can sure run-in to some strange things out in the desert.

Plays - (Greg)