For LeeVW

Moderator: Jim_b

Butcheragain

For LeeVW

Post by Butcheragain »

Howdy Lee, Been a long time since I've posted and even longer since I'd e-mailed you ! Lost your email a few years back. If you remember right I emailed about 8 yrs ago when I was debating either buying a bike or maybe a manx. Well I ended up buying a 2002 XR650r and never have regretted buying it ! Which leads me to what I purchased a week ago. Six months ago I bought a new 2008 HD F-250 4x4 diesel thinking it would get close to the same fuel mileage as my old 1995 Dodge Cumnings WRONG ! I'm doing good if I get 13mpg out of it on the freeway 11 around town. Some of the reason I'm sure is my driving habits but ole habits are hard to break especially the power this thing produces but that's another story. So for the need to find a second form of transportation led me to thinking about a buggy once again. I happen to come across a ad for a Manx look alike on Craig list for 1,500 bucks and jumped at the deal thinking not a bad deal. Every other one I've seen is either a basket case or a rust bucket for that price so I jumped at the deal.

Now that I've had it for a while I'm thinking maybe not so good a deal ! Mechanically the buggy fine just what I have to do to make it street legal is what I'm worry about. Has head lights, But there bright enough to blind you from a mile off ! No low beam ! Think there KC highlighters not sure without going out and taking a look. So head lights and also windshield wipers it needs. The windshield I've already looked into and that's not a problem but the wipers and motors is what got me worry! Doesn't look like much room under the dash for a motor. The holes are already in place for the wipers to come thru, but not sure where to purchase a motor that will fit ! Any suggestion would be welcomed ole bud ! Would love to get this thing street legal ASAP. Don't want to trash my new pickup any more than I have too LOL

Butcher
LeeVW

Re: For LeeVW

Post by LeeVW »

Hey Butcher!

Good to hear from you! It's been a while, hasn't it? I wouldn't have regretted buying the Honda either, they are GREAT bikes! Sorry to hear the Ford is being such a pig. :-) I would have expected better mileage for the diesel too, but all bets are off when you're on boost.

I know how much of a headache it can be to make a buggy legal if it isn't already registered. You can get new headlight assemblies with DOT approved lenses and bulbs, buckets included. I'll look that one up later and let you know. JC Whitney has them, I think. I was able to use a stock wiper assembly from a Bug in my Manx, but there's no telling what will fit in yours without seeing it. I would go to the junkyards and see what you can find. Even though old Bugs are usually stripped out pretty good, the wiper assemblies are often still there. Another option is an assembly from an older British car. Some of those had the motor mounted remotely, which would make it easier.

My email address is LeeVW@aol.com. Please send pics of your buggy!

Lee
Butcheragain

Re: For LeeVW

Post by Butcheragain »

Lee I sent you some pics just few but it's taken almost three hours to upload ! I might have sent the last email twice because of having to click the send button 30 times for it to send :evil: Let me know if you get the pics not sure about this connection I have.

Butcher