Mojave Cross goes missing

yuccahead
The middle number please (4): 7

Mojave Cross goes missing

Post by yuccahead »

Couldn't find the previous thread on this cross but there are apparently some new developements.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37086432/ns ... ?gt1=43001
Mrs.Oroblanco
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Re: Mojave Cross goes missing

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Yep - apparently "thieves" (which are probably people who didn't get their way in the supreme court decision) took the cross, and, so far, there is a $25,000 reward, but there are several places who are trying to raise more money.

It gets screwier every day, doesn't it? :roll:

Beth (Mrs.O)
Sandman

Post by Sandman »

I just heard about it today but appearently it got ripped off last Sunday night. The weather out here has been cold and windy with no moonlight. Whoever the perp is, they knew the location and had the tools needed to remove the bolts that held it in place. It was a pre meditated act

Religion had nothing to do with the cross in my opinion. It was erected by war veterans who were mining the area in the 1930s as a rememberence of their fallen bretheren. Monuments to the dead are held in honor worldwide regardless of culture or religious belief. Personaly, I would be willing to help erect its replacement. Thank GOD I never had to experience the horrors associated with war. I honor all veterans for their service so I can remain free to write these words.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

Sandman posted:
Religion had nothing to do with the cross in my opinion. It was erected by war veterans who were mining the area in the 1930s as a rememberence of their fallen bretheren. Monuments to the dead are held in honor worldwide regardless of culture or religious belief. Personaly, I would be willing to help erect its replacement. Thank GOD I never had to experience the horrors associated with war. I honor all veterans for their service so I can remain free to write these words.
Well said, Sandman.
I too would be willing to help erect its replacement.

TradClimber
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

Gentlemen: This is certainly a tragic thing. There are a lot of ignorant idiots trying to destroy our freedom these days. My family, although we have lived in Arizona all our lives, highly respected that cross in the Mohave desert. We followed the case through the newspapers and news when the atheist were trying to remove the cross from public land. My father came to Barstow around 1930 to find work as a miner from Pitcher, Oklahoma. He was a veteran of World War I and I heard him talk about that cross being erected when I was a kid growing up in Christmas, Arizona. If a group decides to rebuilt or replace the cross for all American veterans we will be more than happy to contribute financially to making it happen. Just let us know. Our email address is ldmgold@msn.com

Tom K.
silent hunter

Post by silent hunter »

I agree that cross is a loss for us all. If anyone puts togather a trip to restore the cross let me know.

Kurt P.
Space Cowboy
The middle number please (4): 7

Post by Space Cowboy »

There appears to be a line forming to re-erect this cross. The ACLU is condemning the vandalism, but points out that now that the offensive ornament is gone, to erect yet another cross would be a direct, clear-cut violation of Church-and-State Separation.

Meanwhile, Rodger Hedgecock on Blow-Torch AM600 is proclaiming Progressives will obey the law until it no longer serves their purpose, and will then resort to lawlessness and, if need be, violence, to achieve their goals. He's whipping up anyone he can to replace the cross before the park service comes up with a CYA alternative. Hedgecock is the guy who was going to chain himself to the Mount Soledad Cross before they won the Supreme Court call for the Cross staying up.

2010 is shaping up to be a Perfect Storm. Let us pray.
TradClimber

Post by TradClimber »

...will obey the law until it no longer serves their purpose, and will then resort to lawlessness and, if need be, violence, to achieve their goals.
The Wild, Wild West.

TradClimber
cubfan64

Post by cubfan64 »

In a parallel discussion on the same subject, that has been renamed and moved to another forum:

Sandman said on Wed May 12, 2010 12:29 pm
My own personal feelings on the subject reflect it's historic value as a monument erected by war veterans who where mining the area in the depression of the 1930s. The purpose was a remembrance to those who had given their lives, not a government endorsement of any particular religion. It's too bad someone took the matter into their own hands. Since the cross was located on private land within the NPS managed Mojave Preserve, the crime falls under the jurisdiction of the SB County Sheriff's Dept. No doubt, any tracks left behind have now been obliterated.

Monuments to the dead are held in honor among all cultures worldwide regardless of religious belief and should be honored and respected as such in my opinion.

cubfan64 said on Wed May 12, 2010 12:35 pm
I tried to post something yesterday about this, but was having a hard time explaining my feelings. You did a very good job of expressing what I wanted to say Sandman. While a cross may inherently be a "christian" thing, it's also a pretty typical symbol of respect for the dead and as you said, it's really sad to me that our society has gotten to the point where we have to argue about things like this all the way up to the Supreme Court. I don't know about all of you, but I think we have LOTS BIGGER things to be focusing on.

That said, I hope they find out who did it and prosecute them.
Plays In The Dirt said on Wed May 12, 2010 12:50 pm
This is sick on two fronts IMO. The first is that "Anyone" would sue to have the cross removed in the first place, and the second being that someone would take it upon themselves to remove it while it was going through the court system.
gordon c. snelling said on Wed May 12, 2010 1:45 pm
I hate thieves, I hope they find them and nail them to it.
Stanley said on Wed May 12, 2010 10:27 pm
As a clarification the NPS and FBI are in charge of the investigation. Sandman quit with the assumptions.

Here is the link to the latest on the story.

http://www.desertdispatch.com/news/expl ... etter.html
Jim Hatt said on May 13, 2010 11:37 am
They walk among us Terry -

People who have no respect at all, for other peoples beliefs, ideals and principles.

When they don't get what they want, exactly the way they want it. They resort to whatever it takes to make sure, nobody else gets what they want either. People who stand for "Nothing" themselves, have plenty of free time on their hands, to try to undermine the ones who have a "Cause" in their hearts, and a "Dream" in their soul.

They walk among us - Tearing down, or attempting to destroy anything they don't understand or agree with.

They walk among us - Sometimes speaking out the loudest against others who do the same thing.

They walk among us -

Jim Hatt
Apache Devil

Post by Apache Devil »

"Rodger Hedgecock on Blow-Torch AM600 is proclaiming Progressives will obey the law until it no longer serves their purpose"

Labels are part of what keeps us all bickering with one another. In most ways I am what Rush Limbaugh or Lars Larson would call a "liberal," yet I would not condone tearing down a landmark just because it is a cross or other religious symbol. Roger and others of his kind should go slow on putting all non-conservatives into the same barrel.