Chiricahua mountains Memorial Weekend....

reptilist
anti-spam detector: No
The middle number please (4): 4

Chiricahua mountains Memorial Weekend....

Post by reptilist »

Well, there's a danged fire on one of the hills. Forest service closed down the South Fork of Cave Creek, where I love to stroll and poke around....The next day they shut down the main road and kicked me out of the canyon.

Danged helicopters and G men all over the place...

Some of the rocks around camp...

There was water in the ravines...

Saw a couple lizards in the short time I was there...

Striped Plateau Lizard

A pregnant Mountain Spiny Lizard

Birds...

A Grosbeak

Acorn Woodpecker

Mammals....

White Tailed Deer

Got wood?

The fire is getting worse and many fear it will envelope our beloved Cave Creek Canyon. (Near the town of Portal on the east side of the Chiricahuas.)
oroblanco

Re: Chiricahua mountains Memorial Weekend....

Post by oroblanco »

Hola amigo - LOVE the photos, sorry to hear about the frigging fire (pardon me language) hopefully either nature or the firefighters will get it under control and OUT soon. I love the Chiricahuas, really some of "God's country" and your pix darn near make a fellow start feeling homesick.
Roy
Mrs.Oroblanco

Post by Mrs.Oroblanco »

Beautiful pictures.

I guess now I have to hope the monsoons come early (soon) - at least in that area of the mountains.

I remember the one in the mountains (a prescribed burn gone wild) back in 2005. We watched it for quite awhile, up the mountains, down the mountains .................. those fires are always scary - to me, anyway.

Beth (Mrs.O)
reptilist

Post by reptilist »

I named it the 'frickin fire', but the Forest Service went with 'Horseshoe', named after the canyon where it burns.
LDMGOLD

Post by LDMGOLD »

TERRY:

Enjoyed the great photos of the area. We were down to Portal a couple of months ago when it was kind of chilly. A friend of ours just released his book "Double Cross." He was in Tombstone this whole weekend at a book signing. Basically, it is a historical novel about the Skeleton Canyon treasure. I spent some time searching around Galeyville and Portal for this legendary treasure. I believe the only real treasure in the area is the beauty. We have been in the area several times over the years camping. Sorry to hear about the fire.

Tom K.